Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi, I have a Zanussi Gas Cooker with battery ignition, I think

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Zanussi Gas Cooker with battery ignition, I think the product number is ***** it is just over a year old. When we first got the cooker, the largest oven would not ignite and we had to get a engineer our to fix it. In fact we had the engineer out several times to deal with this oven and also other faults. The faults were fixed in time, but the large oven has a habit of turning itself off in the middle of cooking and it becoming very annoying. Can you advise me what could be the problem, the engineer just seemed to fiddle with it to get it working and of course wasn't here when the over turned itself off and now its out of guarantee. Thankyou
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer ...

Gary :

In reading you line question, I noticed you had have some problems in the past. In relations to what is going on now, is this problem a continuing one or is it something new?

Gary :

I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time to work on your problem

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for not replying sooner, was having dinner. The engineer was advised that the cooker was cutting out every time he came out, he checked it but as it was staying on for him, he said it could be the oven door closing causing a draught, but was quite vague otherwise. When we first got the cooker, there was cosmetic damage to the hob and lid and this whole part was eventually replaced, the engineer was made aware of the problems with the oven on every visit, which was about 4 times and each time he did checked it, but it still cuts out. It can be on for a while before it cuts out too, so I guess you can call it a on going problem! I try and use the small oven as this is more reliable and does not cut out.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply back. Well not all is lost here. Since you have had an ongoing problem with this oven you are not out of wanantee. The question I have is ... during this time when you had a service man out, was there anything written down on the service order or call out order? In short do you have any documented from the past year that you can show a pattern? If you do, then the manufacture is still on the hook for this oven. You can contact them regarding it. There has been cases where the manufacture will just replace the oven and have it sent back to them.

Before we get to involved here try what I mentioned. Because I would hate for you to loose out. If on an off chance you don't have anything in writing, I would still contact the manufactureand tell them about this problem. As for records, whoever came out to your place will have a file about this oven as well. Any documentation you have will strengthen your case. Please let me know your thoughts. As per your problem, it'll take some doing before we can narrow it down but I can help you out.

I wish you the best

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Most of the documentation I may have is regarding the replacement hob and glass cover with feet and the initial request regarding the oven not lighting at all or it would light but not stay on when you let out the knob, thats if I can find it. When they first came they repaired the oven after a bit of fiddling inside, he said it was a sensor that was not in the correct place. The second time he came out was to a fit a new glass lid with feet, but when he unpacked it, he found that was broken, so didn't fit it, we had also found by then that there was a broken hinge. He then did a full itinery of the faulty parts, including the damaged hob, rang his office and gave them all the details, I did mention about the oven cutting off, he checked it adjusted the sensor again, found no problem, but don't think he made a note of it. Third time they rung us to say a new glass lid for the cooker was, you guessed it, broken again, so no point coming out, we did mention re the oven again, can't remember what they said. They eventually came out a third time with new hob, new hinge, new glass lid and fitted all, mentioned again re oven going out, fiddled with sensors again, lit the whole cooker, top, middle oven, bottom oven and let it burn for a while, it didn't go off!! so job closed. It was alright for a while then it started going out again!! It doesn't do it every time, but it is becoming more regular. Sorry I'm ranting a bit, we could have rejected this cooker when it arrived damaged, but as it only seemed cosmetic, we accepted it, wish we hadn't :(. I will try and contact the manufacturers, but would greatly appreciate your help in establishing what is causing it as well. Thank you

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

I surely understand your frustration. You still have just cause for warantee, so dont let it go by. You have enough of a track record to proceed with your claim since this unit came damaged. Among the outside looks, you could have a wire that is shorting out, causing you this headache. Since this is a gas unit, look towards the thermocuppler. It is a senor that acknowledges that you have a flame. This sensor will cause you this kind of trouble. I would recomend that you call the manufactor and talk to customer service. Please make sure you have the model and serial number of your unit because they will ask for it. Tell them all of the on goings, and see what they will do for you. Please let me know and from there we can proceed. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Just to let you know I contacted the zanussi service centre and yes they do have a record of all the faults with the cooker. They are sending a engineer on Friday 13th to hopefully repair it and free of charge. I am going to try and get him to replace the sensor, rather than just fiddle with it. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks again for your advise. Regards Christine

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Christine,

Glad to hear, and I do hope evereything works out. I'll be waiting for the outcome.

Wish you the best

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary, Engineer called this morning and said it was a common fault with this type of cooker, he was going to replace the faulty sensor unit, but when he had taken the cooker hob off to get to the wires, the previous engineer had tightened the connection nut and rounded it making it impossible to remove, he did show me the nut. So that means they are going to have remove the unit it is attached to as well. He seemed to know what he was talking about and was very frustrated he couldn't fit the part, as he didn't have the part the nut was connected to. They are now coming back next Thursday 19th June to hopefully sort it out. I will of course let you know the outcome of that. Regards Christine

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Christine,

Wow for frustrations ... I'm so sorry to hear that the guy couldn't come up with plan "B" for you. One would have thought he would have an "extra" nut laying around since this is so common. Outside of that, look at the bright side ... which is the money you are saving now ... lol. Can't say for time, but I'm sure they will make it worth your while.

This would be a GREAT < hint-hint< time to ask/talk to the company about an extended warranty free of charge of course. Take advantage of it while you can because once they walk out it's hard to get them back. Again use the leverage of problems, and as sad it is to say ... what the last service man had done, not knowing what else he did and you not knowing about it. In short, if you hadn't pursue the advice I had given, you would be out not only one service call, but possibly two because of what the last man had done. Make sure you get records of all the work that was done to your unit while they are being helpful, it would be in your best interest.

Please keep me in the loop and again I wish you the best

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary, just to let you know they eventually fixed the cooker on 20/6/2014 and it is now working perfectly, but in doing so, the engineered damaged the hob, when screwing it back on to the cooker with an electric screwdriver, we heard a few bangs, but thought nothing of it and it wasn't till after he went and I went to use the cooker that I notice white enamel chips on the floor and damage to the hob round the screws. I was furious, this guy should have told us, but he didn't! I rang the service centre and made it clear I was very annoyed and they agreed to replace the hob and I insisted they sent the previous engineer to fix it and not the one who caused the damage. New hob arrived the Wednesday after, this engineer said he had spoken to the one that had damaged it and he denied he had caused it. Anyway, as the engineer had seen there was no damage the week before, he knew he had caused it. He took the damaged hob back with him and was going to take it up with management. He made sure we were happy before he left. I am not going to take this any further, because I've had enough, but it would have been cheaper for them, if they had just replaced the whole cooker!! many thanks for your help. Regards Christine

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Christine,

Wow what a headache you went through. However just the same I'm glad you got a new hob out of the deal. You are most welcome for our service and I'm glad I could help out. I hope this unit gives you years of great service and thank you for letting me know what happened. You enjoy the rest of your day, have a great week-end and I wish you and your family all the best. If there is anything else that comes your way and need advice, please come back. Take care. Gary