Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi I have recently built a heating tool which I use to heat

Customer Question

Hi I have recently built a heating tool which I use to heat and bend plastic the only thing is the thermostat probe and control knob don't work as a temperature controller they seem to just act as a on off switch I have wired the live in to one terminal on the thermostat the a switched live from the other terminal to one end of a heating element the other end of the element is connected to neutral I take it this is correct but why is the thermostat only acting as a switch and not controlling the temperature of the element
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The thermostat you describe should be regulating if the capillary tube hasn't been damaged and if the probe is near the heat source.

It's a simple thermal switch and if there's only 2 connections, it's 1 in and 1 out.

Test the switch with a multimeter.
Heat the probe elsewhere and see if it operates the switch.
(a pan of boiling water is good for this).

The other thing you need to check on is the temperature that the switch actually operates at.

Check your thermostat first, see if it actually works.
Let me know what you find.