Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Ive got an old hotpoint iced diamond under the counter integrated

Customer Question

I've got an old hotpoint iced diamond under the counter integrated fridge (no freezer). The door is only just closing, so the temperature is not cold enough and the 'engine' seems to be coming on a lot. The door has dropped very slightly, but the seal seems to be in tact, it just doesn't seem to have any magnetic connection. Can I buy a new seal, re-magnitise the existing one, or......?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the model number of the appliance please?
There will be a label inside the fridge, behind the drawers, on the side walls or on the underside of the top.

Is there frost developing on the rear wall inside the fridge?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's BL11

No frost.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The seal isn't magnetic enough to keep the door fully shut.
The spring in the hinges do this.

If you look carefully at the hinges you'll find the sprung steel in 1 or both has broken.

It's also likely the reason the door has dropped.

Once you determine which hinge is at fault (easier if you take the décor door off) you'll need to obtain a replacement and once fitted, the door will close properly again.
It will also very likely line the door up again too.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that.

I can't work out how to take decor door off. From what I can see, both hinges look ok - to be honest I don't know what I'm looking for - i.e. what the sprung steel looks like..?

any advice?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Look at the end of the spring, you'll see the sprung steel that curves round the end of it.
It normally breaks inside the hinge and causes the problem you have.

To be able to change the hinges you need to work out how to remove the décor door.

It's screwed at the bottom and the top can be 1 of 2 methods, nuts that come off allowing you to lift the door up and off or, as the bottom screws through the hinges into the décor door.

The fault is going to be with the hinges, there's nothing else can cause the problem you describe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

apologies for the delay.

to be honest, I don't feel any the wiser. I appreciate that there's a limit to what you can do remotely, and rating your advise as poor seems a little unjust but so does rating OK and paying £22. I wish there was a middle way....?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

OK, it's up to you whether or not you believe the hinges are the cause.
I know they are, it's a really common fault but I can't force you to accept this.

There is a middle way. You simply don't rate and you take the answer for free.