Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Bosch KDN30X01 fridge feezer nearly 6 yrs old. The

I have a Bosch KDN30X01 fridge feezer nearly 6 yrs old. The breaker on the main fuse box activated .When I reset it everthing came on OK except the fridge /freezer. After waiting a few hours I pushed the reset button on the F/F and it came on. Have been monitoring the freezer using an outside thermometer with a probe inside the freezer. After reaching around -21 which it holds ok for a while then the temperature starts increasing to about -12
before fthe moter comes on again. To get back to -20 again takes between 1 and 2 hours. I am worried about raw seafood, is there a problem here ? I have monitored the freezer in the past and it has always been at the correct operating temperature.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If the freezer is rising up to -12 and then dropping back down to -21 then it sounds like there is a problem here.

As a freezer should just maintain a temperature so may drop a deg and raise a deg above what you have set but it shoulded rise a lot like -12 so if its doing this there is a fault with that.

As this is a frost free appliance what you can try is a full defrost. If you can move the freezer contents some were else and then turn the appliance off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open. As if the evaporator gets blocked with to much ice it can cause faults like this.

So when its defrosted fingers crossed this cures it. But as to your question no this isn't correct as it should rise like this to -12.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the advise....having left it on longer it now fluctuates from -14 to -21 but I guess this is still a problem .I have read a report that this kind of fluctuation can happen to a frost free freezer . If this is not cured with a full defrost what is the likely problem and cost?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If the defrost doesn't cure it then its possibley the control unit. As its getting to -21 so the compressor is working and the gas will be fine so that just leaves the control unit as it has relays on there and sometimes these can stick so it doesn't bring the compressor straight back on when it should.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks....so if its a control unit problem what is the likely cost or should I but a new fridge freezer even though its only 6 years old.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The control board on these are about £70 then theres labour if you are getting someone In to do this so labour is roughly about £50 so for a repair you are looking at about the £120 mark roughly so its not bad considering the price of a new appliance is roughly £300-400.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why do you think the breaker on the fuse box tripped originally?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The breaker could have tripped out to anything. Theres a lot of reasons why they trip out.

Did a light bulb blow?

Posibbley an over load on circuit, It could be a number of things im afraid.