KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

My Toshiba lcd tv 40TL963 wont switch on - there isnt even

My Toshiba lcd tv 40TL963 won't switch on - there isn't even a red light. Please help!
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Have you already checked the power cable from the TV ?

Customer:

Hello, it is exactly one year old. We have changed the fuse in the plug and it switched on briefly but now it worked briefly but now no longer, even though we changed the fuse again and tried different wall plugs.

KevinWhiteJA :

was there a power cut ?

Customer:

Not in the recent period.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

and no lights are blinking at all ?

Customer:

No light at all.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, the problem is with the main board that will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

are you willing to replace it yourself ?

Customer:

How hard is that? We need to use it in a couple of days so don't want to have to send it off for weeks....

Customer:

If it is something that can be done quickly by us or by an expert that is ideal.

KevinWhiteJA :

It will cost about £150-£180 to replace that board ... cant be done in like few days..however, you can check with the manufacturer

Customer:

That is a lot. Is there nothing else we can try?

KevinWhiteJA :

Its unlikely that the problem is due to a bad firmware but you can try ... its seems the problem is with the mainboard as it is completely dead and it blows the fuse as well

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....I

Customer:

Thank you. It is surprising that something just out of warranty would cost so much to get fixed. How long would it take to get done? Is it something we can ask someone to do or do we need to ask Toshiba?

KevinWhiteJA :

Its better to contact Toshiba and let them know that it is just out of warranty...they might fix it in a bit lower price rather than a local engineer

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks

Customer:

Hi Kevin, I see main boards on ebay for £32, how hard are they to replace?

KevinWhiteJA :

You can try those but I think it is better to buy a new one as the unit is just one year old

KevinWhiteJA :

to replace it you will have to leave it unplugged then take the back off and remove the connectors for replacement

Customer:

Is it quite straightforward?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes however, as advised earlier you can first check with Toshiba about the firmware

Customer:

Thank you. Will call Toshiba in the morning.

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years