Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Steam mop heats but no steam emerges. The cleaning pad is cold

Steam mop heats but no steam emerges. The cleaning pad is cold but the tank is hot. Obvious either a blockage or calcification, but how to fix?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

Problem: mineral deposits .... DO THIS OUTDOORS. Add 1/2 c CLR to the tank, let sit for an hour, turn on, allow to heat and pump. May have to refill with CLR and repeat. Be persistent, and eventually you'll blow out a wad of dissolved minerals followed, happily, by billows of steam. Again, do this outdoors and keep the mop pointed away from people, plants and things. (Aim at a cardboard box.) Follow up with a couple of tanks of water and pump until empty to clean out any residual CLR and loosened deposits. (You will continued to get some black precipitate through the first water cleaning.) Also, do not take off the mop head...the part to which you attach the pads...it's tough to get off, does not allow access to parts that need cleaning (thought it would, not not so), and practically impossible to get back on.
I wish you the best ... and please remember to try the CLR outside.

Customer:

Please explain what is CLR and what unit of measure is " 1/2 c" ?

Customer:

I have just found out the info I asked. I will not be using the CLR. Too toxic.