Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi we have a washing machine model AWO/D 6121 and there are

Customer Question

Hi we have a washing machine model AWO/D 6121 and there are no lights on the front panel, I have checked power is to the machine and also to the control unit, part of the circuit is working because the power is responding to the door open switch. the machine will not start. I have looked at the price of the Wave Eco K1 Tf Basic control unit and at £97 I have not yet called a repair man out as his labour cost and probably a Control unit would be more than the new cost of the washing machine. could you advise me regarding a test to prove the control unit has failed please. Regard's Peter N
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The Basic control board is a blank board, it isn't programmed.

With the board not lighting up the front panel, there's no test that can be run.

What do you mean by it's responding to the door open switch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a power tester stick that when placed next to a power source it illuminates, with 240v supplied to the machine and the top off there is power to the rear of the (Control Unit Wave Eco K1 Tf Basic) and if I open the door there are a couple of wires that have power switched on and off when you open and close the door. this indicates to me that power is to some components and is being supplied to the control unit.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

All you are detecting is the common live feed, it doesn't detect a neutral feed.

You'll get a live feed at the switch and when you close the door it will feed through to another wire but, you have no neutral so it's not doing anything. If there was a neutral, the door would lock.

Whirlpool machines use neutral switching at the control board.

You'll get a live connection at most parts on the machine but without the neutral from the control board, nothing will work.

If you buy and fit the Basic board it won't work. It has no program on it.
Basic identifies blank boards and Whirlpool agents and engineers use a hand held module, connected to the blank board, to program it.

If you are replacing the board, you need the more expensive programmed board.

The most economical repair would likely be a fixed price repair from British Gas or Knowhow (Currys).
They both do fixed price repairs that include all parts and labour.
No charge with British Gas if they can't repair it.

You would need to get a quote from Knowhow, British Gas charge £125.
You would also need to check with them to see if they cover your area.

If you use a multimeter, you can test for power at the board (input) and if it's there with no display, the board has failed.

Hope this helps
Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thanks for you help and the advice on British gas etc is good advice, could I ask you to identify which wire should have the neutral supply just so I know I have tested correctly. If the control board is at fault I will probably purchase a new machine. this whirlpool has only lasted 2 and a half years, would you advise me on a machine that would give best value and above average cost( not bargain basement and not Rolls Royce). Thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You need to follow the wiring from the mains suppressor at the top rear.

They should go to the board first.

Look for deals on Bosch machines.
2 year warranty minimum.

Hope this helps