Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi I have a Zanassi microwave ZMC30STQ that started sparking

Customer Question

I have a Zanassi microwave ZMC30STQ that started sparking with frozen fruit in a china bowl then cut completely . I phoned a number of repairers that said wasnt worth coming out to look at it as it wasnt wort my while , as I could buy a replcement one cheaply .
I have phoned Zanussi they say there are 3 no replcement models . I did not need all the functions of my current integrated machine the simplest one would suffic as long as it fitted the space W .595 d .560 H . 458 WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND me to do
Brian Kerr
I live in Northern Ireland
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
How are your diy skills?

Look inside your microwave.
There's a mica cover in there, is it burned?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this the two metal covers about3ins wide by 1.5ins high fixed on to the right hand side of the microwave where the sparking seemed to be coming from .

Brian

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
I've had a look at the exploded view drawings and it's not clear from them if these are the wave guide covers.
A photograph may help, if you can post one here.

However, if they are and if this is where the sparking was from, you would need to replace these and you'll find the internal fuse in the machine has blown due to the sparking.

If you have decent diy skills (or know someone that has) it would be worth taking the appliance out, taking the cover off and replacing the fuse on the small circuit board.
You'll need to check the size and obtain the same length and rating microwave fuse.

If the parts that were sparking are damaged then they'll need replacing.
If not damaged but have food debris or carbon on them, take them out and clean them.

Once you've done that, you may well find your machine works ok again.

If you can't do this work yourself, take the appliance out of it's integrated appliance and take it to a local repair shop.
Where they won't come out to repair, they may well do it if you take the machine to them.

Failing that, if you are going for a new one, integrated appliances are expensive, even though they aren't that much different from stand alone machines.

If you don't want to have to buy a new integrated kit then you'll need to stick with one of the three machines advised by Zanussi.

If you can, check out the repair of your machine.
It's a high chance it's a simple repair and no need to change anything.

Let me know how it goes