Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I have a Whirlpool fridge/freezer ARG 918/G/WP. The red light

I have a Whirlpool fridge/freezer ARG 918/G/WP. The red light has come on and the machine is not cooling. The green light switch, although the switch is depressed, is not shining. I cannot hear the compressor running. The internal light comes on when the fridge door is opened. Has the motor died?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

Outside of the fridge light, is there anything else working?

Customer:

Hello Gary,

Gary :

Gary :

I thought you were gone ..

Customer:

The orange light also shines when you depress the switch, but that is all.

Gary :

How old is this unit?

Customer:

Over ten years.

Gary :

I see ... ok, before we deem this fridge dead there are three things to check for. First and foremost problem is the relay. It would be the electrical connection of the compressor. They like to get burned for some reason. Second, Check the thermostat connections, and third the main supply board. Do you by chance have a voltage meter?

Customer:

Not readily to hand.

Gary :

I see, have you unplugged the fridge and plugged it back in?

Customer:

No, should I try that now?

Gary :

If you can ... please pay attention for any noise ... after you unplug it wait for a minute to plug it back in ... this will give it a chance to reset

Customer:

Switched off and back on, no noise or any reaction.

Gary :

Ok, well you narrowed it down to an electrical problem. Now did this fridge "just quit" of have you noticed it going down hill per-say?

Customer:

No it was fine this morning, noticed about midday that it did feel cold.

Gary :

Ok, lets try one more thing ... is the fridge still plugged in?

Customer:

Yes

Gary :

Fine, go to the thermostat and turn it all the way down ... count to 5 and then turn it up to the highest setting. You should hear a click ... from there you should hear the compressor kick in ... please tell me what you hear

Customer:

Silence, no click or compressor noise

Gary :

Ok, Well we narrowed it down to the top three, but which I don't know. If its the board and thermostat the fridge is worth repairing, however if its the compressor, well the cost of having that replaced, you would not be far off from getting a new one.

Gary :

In my view here, since you didn't hear anything, it sounds like the board but I cannot be sure without doing some tests

Gary :

or shall I say additional test

Customer:

What's that?

Gary :

That would require a voltage meter and some tracking

Customer:

Can I do that if I can get hold of a voltage meter?

Gary :

Yes, the test are simple enough, but it will take some time and patients

Customer:

What do I have to do?

Gary :

Do you have a manual?

Customer:

No

Gary :

You will find a service manual here - http://elektrotanya.com/whirlpool_arg918-1.pdf/download.html - It's only 5 pages but it's all you'll need. On page 5 you'll see the circuit diagram. It will show you how everything is tied in. Print it off so you can have it next to you as you check a few things out. Just remember to have the fridge unplugged during this whole time. I don't want you to end up with a new wild hair-do

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** is built into a wooden cupboard, do I need to get to the back of it?

Gary :

yes, since you will need to have access to the compressor and a few other things

Gary :

If you do not feel comfortable in doing it, then please don't

Customer:

Thanks for the advice.

Gary :

You're welcome. Anything else I can help with?

Customer:

No, I think a new fridge/freezer is the answer!

Gary :

Oh, ok ... then I wish you the best. Please rate my service so others will know how I'm doing. If something else comes your way and need help, feel free to come on back and find me. Take care and happy shopping