Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi Rob, Neff S5443X1GB dishwasher: Cant open door. Ive

Hi Rob,
Neff S5443X1GB dishwasher:
Can't open door.
I've pulled the dishwasher out as I want to take the left panel off in order to check for a blockage in the pipe to the impellor. I've now noticed that the door is locked shut. No sign of child proof lock. I've also noticed that if I reconnect to mains and press main switch, no red indicator light shows.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
David
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
If you look on top, at the centre front point, you'll see the latch that holds the door in place when the lock is activated.

If the door will not open, you need to undo this part, if you are lucky, your version will have the securing screw on top.

If not, you'll need to carefully drill the screw out to release it.

If you simply lever the door open, you risk damaging the lock, the latch and the cabinet.

If you cut the latch instead of drilling out the screw, you'll need a new latch.

Ensure the dishwasher is level and not twisted as this can jam the door.
Level it and then see if the door opens before trying to drill out the screw.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I need to lake a careful look........

...no screws on top. Where would I drill?

Meanwhile, I will check for twisting.

Talk to you again in 5 mins.

David

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
There should be a screw toward the rear of it.

If not, check to see if your one simply levers up at the rear off of a pin. (not a common fitting).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doesn't appear to be a twisting problem.

No screw visible.

Not clear where I should try to lever. No sign of a pin.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, can you post a photograph of the latch on your machine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Progress! Gentle levering clicked door open!

However latch seems to be frozen in locked mode. How can I release?

Do you still need a pic?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, don't need it now.

Do you mean the lock is still in the locked position?
If so, unplug the machine.
Take the facia panel off.
You should be able to lever the lock into the open position.

Let me know how you get on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes lock still in locked position.

Now I will remove front fascia. Guess this may take a while.

Talk to you soon.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem, just post when you can.

You should also find screws on the front edge of the side panel holding it in place.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fascia panel removed, but can't see how to unlock lock. Also not sure how to detach it from panel for better access. There are no screws. Seems to be a snap together assembly. Do I need to bend any metal tabs to release it?

The reason the problem arose was because the door springs slammed the door shut once the heavy wooden front panel was detached. My bad.

Thanks for your patience.

David

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, if you can see the part that rotates, it's just a case of levering it back over.

On the side of the door should be some screws that allow the metal plate with board etc to come out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've got the metal plate out and the plastic lock is snap-fitted to the metal panel. Not obvious how to dis-assemble.

I'll have another try to rotate to unlock.

Thanks,

David

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
The latch pokes into the lock and pushes it round.
So line it up so you can see it.
Now use a piece of wire or string.
Hook it around the lock and pull it back into position.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'll give that a try.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, no problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Managed to partially dismantle lock by detaching microswitch assembly. This allowed sufficient access to rotate lock without resorting to wire loop.

Now need to reassemble and check that it works OK.

I'll post you the result in a while.

Thanks,

David

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem.
Good job, not quite the way I would have done it, but glad you got there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Boo!

Door won't close now.

I'll need to take it apart again to find out what's wrong.

There's a brown plastic bar that can be moved from side to side. This is inaccessible once fascia is assembled. Guess it might be child proof lock mechanism for models with child proof lock feature. My problem is whether to slide it to left or right.

I'll keep you posted.

David

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Good luck with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After several attempts I managed to correctly assemble door lock and micro-switch.

Then took side panel off. Gruesome sight. Plastic tubes and float chambers choked with evil looking fibrous mould and slime.

Methinks not worth trying to fix. Time to invest in a new one. This one must be ten years old now, so hasn't done bad I guess.

Anyhow thanks for your patient assistance. Let me know how to leave signs of satisfaction.

Best regards,

David

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for letting me know.

I'll send this as an answer.
This will allow you to rate the help I provided.

Good luck with the new appliance.

Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK