Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

my door seal on washing machine has got covered in black mould

my door seal on washing machine has got covered in black mould spots even though it is cleaned regularly, is there anything on the market to clean up the seal. it looks horrible, and the machine is only 2 years old
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
There's loads of bleach based products that say they'll clean it up, but, I've only ever had success by taking the seal off and leaving it soaking in a bucket of bleach solution for a few days.

Not normally practical though.

To get rid of it, you need a new door seal.

Can you post the make and model number of the machine please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bosch logixx 8

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya
Thanks for that.

Run a rag under the door seal, at the bottom, where it meets the inner drum.
Any gunge?

Do you keep the door open when the machine is not in use, or, do you keep it closed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, abit messy.

I keep it ajar

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, the gunge is undissolved soap and anything that comes out of the clothing being washed.

You'll need to run maintenance washes to clean this up, using washing machine cleaners.
Check Ebay and Amazon for a product called Affresh.

Once it's cleaned out and the seal is cleaned (you may need to fit a new seal if it's really bad) it's a case of running regular maintenance washes to keep the build up of gunge at bay and to kill off the bacteria that create the mould.

If the seal isn't that bad, try a bleach based mould remover product.
You should be able to find something suitable in the supermarket.

At the same time, carry out the maintenance washes.

When you finish using the machine, dry off the door seal and leave the door ajar. This will help a repeat.

I'm afraid this is an extremely common problem on modern machines.
We do less boil washes, mainly cool washes, and, if you use liquid detergent, it's even worse.
The change from stainless steel outer tubs to plastic hasn't helped either as the gunge can cling to the plastic more easily than the steel.

Try it, see how it goes and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps