canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I change water filter in my coffee machine and now machine

I change water filter in my coffee machine and now machine is not taking water while making coffee. And lights are flashing like machine needs cleaning but it was cleaned. When filter is removed - the problem disappears. I did not have any issue with old filter. Any idea what is causing this problem? Please advise. thank you.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Did you soak the filter in cold water first?

canuck the pro :

It is recommended to soak the filter in cold water for about 30 seconds or a minute I think before installing the new filter.

Customer:

hmmm... I have to admit that no. Manual for Krups machine did not show that I have to do so.

Customer:

Does it mean that this filter is unusable now and will need new one? I have soaked it now but still the same effect - machine is not letting any water to go through.

canuck the pro :

But it lets the water through without the filter?

canuck the pro :

There were two filters in the package, correct?

Customer:

No, just one filter. It is not the filter that lets water to go through.

Customer:

No this is not the filter that lets water through the filter. It was only one filter in package.

canuck the pro :

not the f472 filter?

canuck the pro :

It isn't a charcoal filter?

Customer:

No. Claris F088

canuck the pro :

Do you know the model number of the coffee machine?

Customer:

yes, Espresseria Automatic EA8005

canuck the pro :

Do the filters look any different than each other? The new compared to the old? Especially threaded on the bottom end?

Customer:

No, not really. They look almost identical

Customer:

No, not really. They look almost identical.

canuck the pro :

Does one have threading on the bottom end and is one smooth?

Customer:

no, they look the same with rubber blue ending

canuck the pro :

When you lock it in and replace the canister you are flipping the handle over before replacing the cover?

Customer:

canuck the pro :

When you lock it in and replace the canister, you are flipping the handle over toward you before replacing the cover?

Customer:

yes

canuck the pro :

I found a video. Will you watch it and tell me if there is anything that you are doing different or even if we are talking about the same thing? Sometimes things get lost in text, eh?

canuck the pro :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqvEX_juUXQ

Customer:

OK

canuck the pro :

I don't know if that pesky timer is still going but I will be back in about 6 minutes. I will exit and come right back in so the timer isn't running.

Customer:

it looks similar to the one on the left, threaded on the bottom. It has to be screwed in to water tank in my machine. Not special gadget to put this on. First filter - no problems. This one - does not work. I start to think that the problem is with filter.

canuck the pro :

The new filter screws in just like the old one?

Customer:

yes

canuck the pro :

Did you get the filter at a store or online? Was the package tampered with at all or sealed?

Customer:

online from descaler as my first one, package was fine - no damage at all

canuck the pro :

Did you activate the filter in the programming menu?

Customer:

there is no such option on my machine

canuck the pro :

I see. The filter very well must be defective. Online they do get defective products that usually would not get sold in a store. If you shake the filter does the granules inside rattle around or does it seem packed full and no movement of the granules?

Customer:

it seems packed full and no movement

Customer:

so, you think that filter is bad?

canuck the pro :

Yes. The pellets inside are supposed to move around when the water moves through it. They packed that filter too tightly with the pellets and the water can't get through. I don't even think they make the blue one any more. I think they are white now. Could also be that it was stored somewhere that was not dry and humidity dampened the pellets then it got dry again and fused the pellets inside so no water will pass.

Customer:

I see. Filter is grey - not blue or white.

Customer:

It makes sense, as filter seems to stop water going through.

Customer:

Thank you. I thought I am doing something wrong and was reading manual 3 times but no obvious reason for this problem.

canuck the pro :

I was hoping you were doing something wrong. The next best scenario is the filter is the wrong one or defective though. I am glad your machine it totally fine.

canuck the pro :

Also you are very welcome. I am glad to help

Customer:

Machine works fine without filter :-) so it has to be filter. I will try to buy new one and see if it will be the same problem or just start to use filtered water from Brita kettle. Thank you for your help

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. I am happy to help.