Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Hotpoint washer WMEF722 - unable to open door after wash has

Customer Question

Hotpoint washer WMEF722 - unable to open door after wash has finished
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Does the handle feel the same as normal, or is it loose and floppy?
Are you able to pull the machine out from under the worktop?
Did the machine finish correctly? ie the last spin?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am not sure about the handle

i cant pull out from under counter

i think the machine stopped before cycle so I put it on a short cycle so it could finish a cycle

still didnt open

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Beverley

thanks

Unfortunately You cant open it without getting the lid off. This mean the machine has to be pulled out first.

Is it possible a friend could help?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

possibly can what do i need to do then?

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Beverley

Ok, disconnect the machine from the power first.

It sounds like the handle has broken.

Remove the lid and lean the machine back at 45 degrees
Look inside towards the door lock
You’ll see the latch sticking through the lock
Slide this across and the door will open
If the handle is broken, take photographs before you dismantle it to replace it, they are notoriously difficult to re assemble without a picture

If you need more help, please just ask me.

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Again

Can you tell me if the machine is in fact a WMEF722P ??

If so, there may be an easier way
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

right i have pulled machine out and i can see a grey and white block at the back of the handle

not sure i can see the latch!!

Not sure whether it is a P the number on the machine doesnt have any other letter on, but it has a platinum sticker on would that be it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it doesnt have a prefix letter

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you still there

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello

i still havent sorted out the door

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

I was waiting and you seemed to go offline

Does the machine have a plastic cover down low on the front?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will go and look

the machine is in the next room and it took me a while to drag machine out

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it only has a plastic cover going across the bottom few inches of the front of machine

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

As it does please go here, just click on the word in blue and it will open a new page. This is the manual. Please go to page 11 and look at the pictures. Your machine may have this tab if its the P version.

Please dont forget to rate as this is the only way I get credit for helping you this Sunday evening

Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi i found the green tag, but dont seem to get that to work either

i have seen the latch but cant actually get that to move either

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Beverley

Im afraid that you have to get one or the other to work, otherwise you may need to get someone to help you.

These are the only two ways of releasing the door, without actually breaking the door itself.

Rob

Look closely at where the latch should be. Some of these locks have a cover on them and you need to prise the cover off to get at the latch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks will try that

will rate when we have finished

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks

I have done it

I tipped machine over towards left hand side to move drum over so i could reach the latch

Thank you for your help this Saturday evening.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Beverley

WELL DONE !!!

And sorry, I seemed to have gained a day

All the best

Rob