Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

We purchased a Samsung American style side-by-side fridge freezer

We purchased a Samsung American style side-by-side fridge freezer model number RSA1DTWP1 in May 2010 in Mallorca, where we have a place but live in the UK. In June 2013, just after the 3 year warranty ran out we started to get problems. The fridge freezer keeps stopping working. Lights are on but neither the fridge nor the freezer are cold. The freezer temperature light on the display panel flashes. When we switch it off for a while then back on again it will work for between a couple of hours and several days, but then the same thing happens. We know that the fan isn't working, but putting a free standing fan behind the appliance which does keep the mechanisms cool still has the same results.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry to hear that.is it the fan by the compressor that stopped?
Please be clear on this.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the fan by the compressor. part number DRCP5030LA.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Pete, You need to replace that fan ASAP. It cools the compressor which will fail if you dont. Good attempt but it needs to be replaced and a very bad idea to run it that way.The compressor is overheating not good.
The compressor is very expensive and a big job to replace.
The fan is pretty cheap
if you need a source for that I would recommend this site:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/
I will help you if you need in the replacement.
I will stick with until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Pete ;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We will get a new fan and replace it when we go to Mallorca on 1st July. can we hold off on the response until we see if this works, please. we tried to get a Samsung engineer to come out but after a lot of difficulty getting contact no one turned up. We had 2 local engineers, 1 a friend of our neighbour and one from an ad in the local paper. neither were confident what the problem was. The first walked away, the 2nd one suggested replacing both circuit boards on the top and the fan at a cost of 600€ but could not guarantee it would work then. You can understand us being a bit sceptical. We thought of throwing it away, but it had cost us a lot only 4 years ago and then more to replace parts and pay call out fees. We'll happily pay up if the problem is fixed, but are concerned about throwing good money after bad.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pete Im sure it will do the job been an fridge man for over 30 years lol.
since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)

Thank you Pete and have a great week!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've looked on line, the site you recommended is priced in $, also I can't identify the same part. I've found on buyspares.co.uk a fan that looks similar with a part number of DREP5020LB. Called Motor Assy-Compressor New. do you know if this will fit? It's priced at £54.99. is this reasonable?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pete yes that is the same part ;-)
Not a bad price either.
I will stick with you through the entire process but please rate now so I can stick with you it wont cost you anything additional.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Michael. I think that's all you can do till we get the fan fitted. How do we get back to you if we need more help on this without starting again?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pete
if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)

Thank you *****
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.