Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hello Dear technician I have a hotpoint fridge freezer The

Dear technician
I have a hotpoint fridge freezer
The top front light flashes all the time
The freezer need to to be defrost every few days to work again
Please let me know what's the problem
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

Per your problem, it could be a few different thing. can you give me the model number of your unit? Also I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time to work on your problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Model is hotpoint FF200LG
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

thank you for the reply. Ok, the flashing light indakates that the freezer isn't cold enough. (up to temp) So does the door seal so is it around the unit tight? Had you tried to turn the freezer operation knob setting to "off" waiting for 5 minutes and then turning it back on?
Outside of that, lets look at why it's frosting up ... Is your compressor cycling? (meaning shutting off and on) As per the frost, is it mostly on the back of the freezer? How about the "super freeze"? If the yellow light on or flashing it could mean that the super freeze is on, so did you turn it off?

Please double check these items and let me know what you find out. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear technician
All lights are flashing including super cool freeze

I don't know the compressor

Please tell me how it looks like

Should I keep the super freeze off

Should I keep the super cool off
Please let me know.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Yes, turn both the super freeze and cool turn them off. This calls for added demand on the compressor. As for the compressor, it is located on the back part of the appliance on the bottom. It's black and about the size of a mixing bowl. Kind-a shaped like one.

If you can pull out the appliance, remove the cover if there is one. With a flash light, can you tell me (only if this unit is still running) if you have frost/ice built up underneath there any ware. If this appliance has been shut off, any water? Also, you can place your hand on the compressor can you tell me how it feels? (again it has been running)

Please let me know what you find. Also can you tell me where the frost builds up in your appliance as well. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear *****

The compressor looks fine and dry without any frost

The frost are located inside the freezer on the defrost heater and around it
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. Well there's two things here ... 1] run the fridge/freezer with-out the super freeze/cool on and see if you get anymore frost/ice build up. This setting is ment for short term use such as first start when it's warm ... i.e. after cleaning. This setting causes the compressor to run continuely until it brings the appliance down to temp. The problem with that is how they are wired. In your appliance, the heater is sometimes suspended when it's on this super mode. Meaning it won't come on. Now the weather has a lot to do with your unit icing because of humidity. The higher it is, the likely it will ice up. As the compressor unit ices, it restricts air movement and basically will set off an alarm in which you have received ... "high temp" or "temp out of range" So now we need to eliminate that, and by doing that is not run the unit in super freeze/cool mode. This will allow the compressor to cycle as it should and allow the heater to come on and keep things frost free.

The 2 part is if your fridge is still frosting up where you say it is, after the super freeze/cool mode been turned off, then I would say that the heater is faulty and needs replaced. Please remember that you need to eliminate the first in order to prove the latter. Please keep me informed as to what your appliance is doing, and if you have any other questions please ask. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear *****
I followed your intructions in the first case and after few hours the fridge
Started to cool and the heater had some frost on it
I think in few days I will have the same sitution as before
What is your advise
Should I replace the heater
Or you have other suggestions
Best regards ***** ***** for your help
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information. Before we replace the heater, your fridge has a fan that moves air through. Double check that first. If the fan underneath is working, then it would be the heater. I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear *****
The van located in the freezer opposite the heater is working

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** have narrowed it down to the heater. Replace that and then everything should be fine. I wish you the best.