Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Good morning my mother owns a Maytag American F/F model GC2225GEKS

Customer Question

Good morning my mother owns a Maytag American F/F model GC2225GEKS which is about 4-5 yrs old. She has experienced several intermittent failures over the last few weeks resulting in the loss of all the contents twice. She felt that there was a problem when the ice compartment was full and so emptied it and it appeared ok. Maybe this was just coincidence because that has made no difference since. Any ideas please?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
This is normally a fault on the defrost thermostat.
There are other causes, such as control board and wiring, but the defrost thermostat is the most common cause.

Basically, the machine gets down to temperature, it goes into defrost state (approx. every 8 hours) but fails to come out of it.
The result being, the compressor doesn't start up again, the machine fully defrosts and the food is lost.

To get to this, you need to empty the freezer and take the rear panel inside the freezer off.

You'll the "radiator" pipework (evaporator) and clipped on top of it is the defrost thermostat.

Obtain and fit a new one, reassemble the appliance and it should work again.

If the fault persists, you would be looking at an expensive control board replacement to try and cure the fault.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this, I will get my husband to take it apart when he gets home this evening. Do you know where the best source for a replacement can be found please?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You could try www.4ourhouse.co.uk or www.espares.co.uk

they should be able to supply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning, the part has now arrived, please could you tell me if there is an online instruction manual for fitting it correctly. Many thanks Ray

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No, there's no instruction manual for fitting it.

Have a look at the old one and you'll see it.

Did you have a look at the old one before ordering?
Unplug the appliance.
Take everything out of the freezer and take the rear panels inside the freezer compartment off.
You'll find the part fitted to the mass of pipework that provides the cooling.