Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

After following advice from technician I have removed all ice

Customer Question

After following advice from technician I have removed all ice from behind panel in my Samsung fridge/freezer model no RS21WCNS. It still would not go below 7 degrees now it has stopped working although interrior lights come on.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi, thank you for using just answer. I'm going to move this to Q&A so we can have more time to work your problem.

Gary :

I need some more information from you regarding your problem ... you said it had ice build up, you defrosted now it doesn't work ... outside of the light coming on, do you hear any noises? Also, I would like for you to try something ... turn the thermostat off, wait for a minute and then turn it back on all the way to the coldest setting ... please tell me what you hear. Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary

When I switch it on it sounds normal. As it has a digital display it doesnt have a temperature dial, when I press the control buttons nothing happens. The buttons appear to be pressed in all the time.

We bought this place last summer and the white goods were left here. There isnt an instruction manual with it and I dont know how old it is.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying back. So let me understand something here ... when you press the control buttons for temp settings, you hear nothing? No click? And when you say the buttons appear pressed in, is it like they don't hold a setting? or do they have a permanent indentation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have a permanent indentation.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

When you adjust the temp control, from low to high, do you hear any noise? Any clicking sound?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No nothing at all

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back. Behind your fridge, towards the floor is the compressor. Along with that you'll see coils. I need you to check two things ... 1] there should be a fan next to those coils, is it working? and when the fridge is on, do those coils ice up? 2] place you hand on the compressor and tell me if you feel a vibration, heat, anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to take the lower panel off at the back. I forgot about the fan but as I didnt notice it I dont think it can be working. The coils actually felt very hot very quickley, the compressor and the coils vibrate. I've left it on at moment and the temperature is dropping. Im worried though about how hot the coils were.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

These coils do get warm, thus the fan. You have to remember a cooling unit is design to remove heat from objects. Since the fridge was cooling down means it was working. Now with the fridge on, you need to watch for icing. As the cycle continues, the coils will cool, and ice will start to form. If you have ventulation under there with air movement, then the heater built in with the coilds will keep this from acculimating. If you get an abundance of ice built up this will also keep your fridge from reaching cooling tempature. This is why I asked if you can verify if the fan was working or not. If the fan works, and you get ice means the heater to keep this from freezing up doesn't work and needs to be replaced.

Outside of that, if all works above and you still cannot get the fridge down to temp, means that you are low on or loosing freon. In short you have a small leak in the system somewhere. The only way for you to find it is have a service man come out and istall a dye into the system while charging it. Under a black light, you can see where the leak it.

As for the vibration, is its minimal, you don't have to worry about it. Please keep me informed as to what your appliance is doing. If it is still acting up, please come back and we can take it from there. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou Gary at the moment all seems fine. The freezer temp is back down to -20 and the is at 3. before the fridge wouldnt go below 7 and the warning alarm kept going.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Isn't it a good feeling when those things fix themselves? Always hated it when they make a liar out of me as well ... Anyways I'm glad all is well. If something else comes up, feel free to come back and find me ... I should be around somewhere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary fingers crossed it still working. I couldn't afford to buy a new one. The local chap didnt even want to look at. Many Thanks very pleased, will certainly use service another time.

Regards Mary.