Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My washing machine stinks. I have had an engineer out twice.

My washing machine stinks. I have had an engineer out twice. First time he showed me pictures of washing machine drum covered in slime. He also checked the pipe and advised as it was plumbed into soil pipe this was the problem. Have had plumber out who replaced the fitting although he assured me there was nothing wrong with the original as it has a cap to prevent back smells. Problem persisted although I regularly use lime scale and detergent remover. Called engineer again and was lectured that I would be charged if I called him out again as the problem is with the waste or my drains. My question is why is the smell only affecting my washing machine if my drains are the problem and why the smell never occurred with my previous washing machines which lasted 17 and 12 years respectively. Neither of these were hotpoint.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer/ Pearl.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and we need information in order to be able to
help you solve your difficulties. The more information you give us the quicker we can help.
First if there was a slime residue, then its more than likely in the machine not with your drain line.
I have seen this many times, I am in the US but many home improvement stores sell a product that will help with this.
Here is a link to a really good product, its a long one but I have used it many times for my customers with great sucess let me know how it goes:
http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-washing-machine-cleaner/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Clorox%20Cleaner%20For%20Washers&utm_campaign=UCL_Brand_Broad

Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no visible slime residue. The pictures shown to me by the engineer was of the outer casing of the drum which I was told was made of plastic. Does the machine have to be taken apart to clean this?

I cannot recommend you until I try the product you suggested but are you saying that the product recommended by Hotpoint is not suitable for the job as I still have 3 boxes to use.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mary, the solution I suggested works great I have been using it for years even on Hotpoint washers as well.
That really is the only way to get rid of the smell.
Some products work better that others.
What happens and the cause for the smell, is that the plastic over time will absorb odors that are difficult to remove but the Clorox one is very good.
I will stick with you until this odor is gone but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Mary.
Tech Michael