Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

BOSCH WASH MACHINE FAULT

I HAVE A BOSCH WASHING MACHINE WA24162GB, THAT HAS A HARD ROUND PLASTIC SEAL THAT GOES BETWEEN THE RUBBER DOOR SEAL AND THE DRUM, THIS PLASTIC SEAL HAS MADE CONTACT WITH THE DRUM AND PARTIALLY BROKEN UP. IS IT WORTH REPAIRING? THIS WAS POSSIBLY BEEN CAUSED BY BRA WIRE THAT I REMOVED FROM UNDER DRUM THROUGH DRAINAGE HOSE POINT. NOTE I HAD MACHINE AT 45 DEGREES YESTERDAY TO REMOVE BRA WIRE

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you check the E-Nr number you posted?
There's an error in it.

Was it vibrating prior to this?
How old is the machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK NUMBER IS ***** FIRST PROBLEM WAS SCRAPING NOISE WHICH WAS THE BRA WIRE. AFTER ITS REMOVAL A WASHING WAS DONE WITH NO PROBLEMS. ONLY ON SECOND WASHING DID WE GET THE VIBRATION LIKE OUT OF BALANCE AND THATS WHEN I FOUND THIS WHITE PLASTIC SEAL/SUPPORT THATS NEXT TO THE DOOR SEAL IN PARTIAL PIECES, OBVIOUSLY IT HAD CONTACTED THE DRUM AND WORN THE PLASTIC AWAY. THE MACHINE SPRINGS FOR SUPPORTING THE DRUM ARE IN PLACE AND MOTOR ROTATES OK. APPROX 4/5 YEARS OLD

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

There is no seal support, the seal fits onto the front of the plastic tub and onto the front panel.
Both ends are held in place by a seal retainer.

Is it part of the tub that has been cut away by the inner drum?

Press down hard on the inner drum and while pressing down, rotate the drum 1/3rd each way, does it feel/sound rough?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi while pressing down and rotating drum there is a scraping noise of contact between inner drum and the tub, as you say looks like broken up part is on the stationary tub

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

You will need a new outer tub to repair this.
It sounds like the front of it has been rubbed away by the inner drum.

Possibly the drum support has broken, this would mean a new inner drum too.

Sorry, I'd have to suggest you use the potential repair costs (over £200 of parts already) against the cost of a new machine.

Sorry, not good news and certainly not an easy fix.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that. Sounds like what weve got and can see expensive to repair

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, I wish it were better news.

You could try British Gas for a fixed price repair.
£125 inclusive of parts if they cover your area.
No charge if they can't repair.

They may check it and just decide against it though.

Good luck with it, whichever way you go.