Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have just bought a new Beko fridge/ freezer, it has been

Customer Question

I have just bought a new Beko fridge/ freezer, it has been on for 3 hours and and it as very hot on the outside of the casing of the freezer near the door and a bit at the bottom of the fridge also near the door. Is this normal or dangerous. I just changed my old unit because of this as I thought it was dangerous Is there a fault here?Could there be a faulty condenser fan? The model number is ***** 

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No this isn't normal.
Turn it off.

How long did you let it stand for before turning it on?
Was it transported upright?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it was transported upright. Washed it down on the inside and then filled it up and then turned it on

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, you are supposed to let it stand for at least 4 hours before plugging in.
If it's been tilted, then it's a lot longer.

There is no condenser fan on this machine, the condenser is the grill on the back.

I'm afraid, what you describe, it's very likely the refrigeration pipework (internal) is restricted, causing the heat in the wrong place.

Unplug it, leave it overnight.
Plug in tomorrow and see if it works.

If not, you'll need to tell your supplier it's faulty.

Sorry, not good news, hopefully an overnight wait will allow it to clear the restriction. Bit of a long shot but there's nothing else you can try.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I lust read on the internet that in hot weather the outside casing can get hot and it is normal so I'm really confused now???

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You stated "very hot".
Fridge freezers don't get very hot on the outside casing, summer or winter.

It's up to you, you can run the machine and hope it's not restricted or you can try it tomorrow and then complain to the supplier if it's still doing it.

Checked my fridge freezer and the casing isn't hot, never mind very hot.

I wouldn't say it's that here yet either.
I regularly go to Cyprus in the summer and the fridge freezer doesn't get very hot on the casing there.
In the high 40's the casing gets warm to hot but cools again in the evening.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the point is -is it dangerous-a fire risk -risk of explosion.Health damaging or life threatening in any way

This is the question and do you know these facts?If not , please can you find out the answers from someone who does know for me and pass them on.

if it is just" not right" and none of those risks then I can use it until a replacement arrives.

.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, to answer your new questions.

No, it's not health damaging.
No it's not a fire risk if only the casing is getting hot.
No, it's not dangerous.
No, it's not life threatening.

The worst that will happen, if the fault is exactly as has been posted, is it won't cool properly and may stop working.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It settled down -all OK. Thanks for the advice

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for letting me know.

Good luck with the appliance.