Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi My Hotpoint FFU4DX Fridge Freezer - Stainless Steel.

My Hotpoint FFU4DX Fridge Freezer - Stainless Steel.

has the super freeze and power buttons flashing. The fridge dial is a 3 o'clock and the freezer max.

The air temp is 30 C

The problem seems to be that the freezer is not freezing

What do I do?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
It's telling you it's too warm in the freezer.

If you pull the drawers out, is there any build up of ice ?

Turn both controls to off and back on, does the flashing stop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok - we will turn both dials to anticlockwise to off and then back on.

no there is no build up of ice

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
At the bottom rear is the compressor.
Is this running?
If it is, is it very hot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The local technician went to see the fridge/freezer. It is running slow and the fridge is coolish but the freezer not freezing.

The compressor he said did not seem too hot - he thinks due to running slow.

The fridge is set in a recess which has 3 sides wood pannelling and the fridge has little room behind it. Is it possible that with the heat (35 C) that the fridge has overheated and that is response it has slowed down?

I asked him to pull it away from the back wall 3 or 4 cms more. We can also create a hole/holes in the wall behind. Any advice or thoughts?

PS Happy to pay more

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Is it cooling down at all now?
if there's little or no cooling in the freezer and the compressor isn't hot it suggests there's no refrigerant or the compressor has failed (running but not pumping)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. No cooling in freezer. Odd that there would be no refidgerant. It is 18 months old.

If the compressor is gone then can it be easily replaced?

Is the issue of heat buildup a possibility? IIs pulling out from the wall likely to have no effect?

Would you send it off for repair if you were me?any more checks we should do?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes, heat build up can cause it.
For no refrigerant, an internal leak can cause this and it could run 18 months before it all leaked out.

If it was me, I'd be getting Hotpoint out to it on their fixed price repair plans.
Give them a call, they start around £120 I think and they cover parts and labour.
Cheaper than a new machine.

If it's lack of airflow that's caused it, you'll need to sort that or it will do it again.

Sorry, difficult one to diagnose without actually being at the machine.

How long ago did the engineer check it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Checked it 2 or 3 hours ago. I will contact the shop that I bought it from and check with Hotpoint.

James

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Good thinking re the shop.
I can't advise on it but you may want to ask citizens advice about claiming against the retailer using the sale of goods act.

It's an option, not easy but they may contribute.

Good luck with it.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK