canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Hi, I have a Frigidaire FL170 larder fridge. The pump is working

Hi, I have a Frigidaire FL170 larder fridge. The pump is working but the temperature is not going down. The condensation tray is bone dry (usually the problem is overflowing) and a large lump of ice has built up at the back of the fridge compartment, just below the top left hand corner.
Any idea of what is going wrong?
All best wishes,
Chris
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The evaporator has a build up of ice and the freezer will need to be defrosted. If you unplug the freezer and leave the doors open for at least 24 hours to let it completely defrost. Clean the inside of the fridge and freezer after the defrost process. Be sure not to store items that block the vent.

Customer: Does it make a difference that this is a larder fridge with no freezer compartment?
canuck the pro :

No it does not. Thank you for pointing that out but the same has happened even though it is only a fridge. The evaporator has iced up. Do the defrosting and cleaning and all will be well. Be sure not to store items in front of the vent that may block or restrict and be sure the door is not left open for long periods of time and it will be a very long time before you will have to do this again.

Customer: OK thanks for that. I will try this and see if it works.
canuck the pro :

Very good. I will certainly work.

Customer: I defrosted the fridge and left it off with the door open for 24hr. The ice has gone. When it was switched on the pump works but no cooling action. What do I do now"?
canuck the pro :

What setting do you have it on?

Customer:

The electronic readout at the top says 22 deg C.

canuck the pro :

There is no cool air coming in from the vent? How long has it been on?

Customer: There is a very weak flow of air through the vent at the top of the inside of the fridge. It has been on for several hours now.
canuck the pro :

If you remove the panel to access the evaporator is it still iced?

Customer: There is no panel in front of the evaporator on this model, it is on the back. Yes, it is cool.
canuck the pro :

No ice on it but it is getting cool? How about the compressor, is it really hot?

Customer: The pump is warm, the heat exchanger thing on the back is not warm (the same item on the chest freezer is quite warm).
canuck the pro :

Unfortunately there is a very slow coolant leak and it is quite low. You may be able to find a tech you will recharge it for you but it will not hold and will only get worse. Repair and recharging it will be quite expensive. It is not a do it yourself project to do that.

Customer: Time for a new fridge then...sigh.
canuck the pro :

I am very sorry to say yes.

Customer: OK thanks for your help. Rating follows.
canuck the pro :

You are very welcome/

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber