Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi, I have an American Fridge/Freezer Model K3990X6GB/04 -

Hi, I have an American Fridge/Freezer Model K3990X6GB/04 - water keeps coming down the inside of the freezer and freezing at the bottom of the freezer and also creating a puddle on the floor underneath - the ice cube tray had a bit broken so I turned the water feed off to it completely but the water still comes down. Any ideas to the cause?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Is the water coming from the ice maker at the top?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't believe so as it feels dry and the cube tray is dry but cannot think of anywhere else it can come from - it is sporadic with the water coming out and I have turned the water feed off in to the fridge.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's fine.

Where the water will be coming from is the drain channel inside the freezer. What happens is the drain hole blocks up so when it goes into defrost mode the water overflows and runs down the back and collects on the bottom of the freezer.

What you need to do is either empty the freezer and remove the rear panel.

From there clear the ice in the drain channel under the evaporator which you will see.

In the middle is the drain hole. Pore boiling water in there to defrost the hole. Then pore water in there and make sure it drains out ok and that will cure the fault here.

Or if you don't want to go removing the panels you need to empty the appliance and turn it off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours as this will defrost the drain channel and cure the fault from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel - this sounds like it could be it. Where is the rear panel? - is it inside at the back of the freezer or physically at the back of the freezer and i have to pull the freezer out and screw it off.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Its inside the freezer so remove the baskets inside the freezer and then you will see the plastic cover on the back wall. Its this you need to remove the access it. So you don't need to pull the appliance out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks - i removed the lower portion of the back flat back panel but cannot see any hole or evaporator just a load of pipes - is it higher up nearer the ice cube tray? and above the light? Thanks.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The evaporator looks a bit like a radiator and is all pipe work.

The drain channel is under this virtually at the bottom when you remove the back panel. Its usually a silver metal tray that's covered in ice.