How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Techdesk Your Own Question
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 16409
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Techdesk is online now

Hi micheal, I wonder if u can help me, I have a capel integrated

Customer Question

Hi micheal, I wonder if u can help me, I have a capel integrated fridge freezer, I have some Ice build up on back of fridge about halfway down, I now have the alarm sounding. Why do you think this is? Please
Kind regards Kayleigh
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Is this a band of ice across the back wall, a lump in a small area or?

Is there a problem inside the freezer, is it starting to defrost?

Can you post the model number of the appliance please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. The band if ice is across the back wall of fridge about halfway down, the alarm has now stopped sounding and light gone off. Freezer is fine and I'm afraid I don't know the model number
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks for that.

A band of ice normally indicates a shortage of refrigerant or a weak compressor.

There should be a label inside the fridge, possibly behind the salad drawers, this has the details of the machine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ri553FF is the model number, had never noticed that there. What could I do to correct the issue above?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
I'm afraid you'll need a refrigeration engineer to sort it.
If it's a weak compressor it will need a compressor and regas to sort it out.
If it's short of gas (refrigerant) then it may have a leak.
If the leak is internal, it cannot be repaired.
If the leak is one that the pipe leaking can be repaired, then a regas will sort it out.

Sorry, there's no easy cure on this one.
A refrigeration engineer will need to attend and fit gauges and a vacuum pump to the compressor pipework to determine if it can be repaired.

If it turns out to be an insulation failure, you'll find the rear wall inside the fridge is soft and spongy when pressed.
This too cannot be repaired.

A compressor and regas will be an expensive repair. Somewhere around £200.

I'm sorry it's bad news and not a simple fix.

Hope this helps

Related Appliance Questions