Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I HAVE A A.E.G. 18V CORDLESS DRILL AND NEED TO CHANGE THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A A.E.G. 18V CORDLESS DRILL AND NEED TO CHANGE THE CHUCK . IT HAS A SCREW INSIDE THE CHUCK THAT WE HAVE REMOVED BUT CAN NOT UNSCREW THE OLD CHUCK.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

The best way I found to do this sort of job is this ... Switch the drill into reverse mode. Grasp the chuck with your hand firmly and start the drill. Allow the drill to open all the way. Use a small flashlight to examine the chuck screw, which is located in the center in the bottom of the chuck. Dewalt chucks typically have a ¼-inch hex head, which can be loosened with a ¼-inch Allen wrench. {2] Attach an extension and a ¼-inch hex key to a socket wrench and set the direction to clockwise, which is typically the direction that most bolts and screws tighten. Drill chucks are reverse threaded. Insert the key into the chuck and seat it into the head of the chuck spindle screw. [3] Wrap a shop rag around the handle of the drill to protect its finish and place it in a vice. Snug the vice down to hold the drill firmly still. Fit a length of 2-inch pipe over the handle of the socket wrench to extend it and add leverage. Pull firmly against the pipe to turn the socket wrench clockwise to loosen the chuck spindle screw. Once it breaks loose, turn the chuck clockwise by gripping it firmly by hand and twisting clockwise. Continue turning until the drill chuck spins free from the drill. [4] Remove the spindle screw from the back of the chuck and thread it into the spindle screw threads in a counterclockwise direction. Install a new chuck by turning it onto the spindle screw threads in a counterclockwise direction. Snug the new chuck down by hand until it is tight and insert a bit. Tighten the chuck by hand and drill a test hole. Check to make sure the chuck is still snug and tighten the spindle screw as needed to get proper operation. ... If you have any other questions, please ask. I'll switch this to Q&A for your convenience. I wish you the best.