Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Have lost power to drive beater bar. Have electric to head.

Have lost power to drive beater bar. Have electric to head. Is the red button on left side a reset button?Motor replaced . Suggestions please.
Peter Allan
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi Allan, and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

Just to clarify it right, you have power to the motor, but the beater bar isn't moving ... correct?

Customer:

Yes

Gary :

Ok, can you remove the belt from the motor to the beater bar?

Customer:

Yes

Gary :

If you do, then does the motor work?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Have replaced motor already

Gary :

Which type of dyson do you have? I would need a model number

Customer:

DC24

Gary :

Ok, on the left side, there is a reset button, did you press that in?

Gary :

excuse me, right side

Gary :

There is a "red" indentation on the right side beater bar level, just below the sticker. Inside of that, there is a small reset button ... press that inwards

Customer:

Yes I have -it does not appear to reset i.e. no click.Even after several attempts.

Gary :

OK, for some reason you are not getting power there ... if you have a voltage meter, you can verify that

Gary :

The first place I would look is where your power head connects to the vacuum

Gary :

All it is is a (2) pin prong set up ...

Customer:

Yes. There is power to that 2 pin .

Gary :

Does you meter have an OHM setting?

Customer:

Unfortuneately no -I have used screwdriver with light in handle.

Gary :

Oh- ok ... Well, since that is the case, you will need to verify power to the "reset" switch and then to the motor ...

Gary :

It could be that the reset switch is bad

Customer:

OK will take a few moments.

Gary :

That's fine, I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time to work on this ... However, you need to verify power to the switch, and then to the motor. If you have power to there, then we need to check the wrires coming from the motor back to the connection where the power head plugs into.

Gary :

Please let me know what you find, and from there we can continue.

Customer:

No power on motor side. Very difficult to get right into reset button

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hey Peter,

Ya I agree with you about that. If you have power to the switch and not on the otherside, hold the reset button in while testing for current on motor side ... Now I will tell you this is a 80% failure rate, because they are designed to "connect" after the reset. However, there is always a chance it will make connection. If you don't get power on the otherside of that switch, then the reset switch is bad ...

Please let me know what you find out ...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No power on motor side.Very difficult to get into reset button.Wasn'sure how to reply sorry for delay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suspect that you are correct. Currently pricing replacement!Thank you for your help.

Peter.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Peter,

You're welcome. If you need additional help please feel free to come on back.

Gary