canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Re: Integrated Fridge/Freezer model KIN32A41GB bought in 2006.

Re: Integrated Fridge/Freezer model KIN32A41GB bought in 2006. Yesterday the alarm buzzer sounded and 'AL' appeared in the control panel display in relation to the freezer section. (The fridge was still showing +04 degrees). I had recently put food into the freezer, but no more than usual. I checked that all drawers and the door were properly shut and pressed the 'super' button. By bedtime the 'AL' was still showing so I switched the appliance off, waited for a few seconds and switched it back on - the AL was replaced by -18. Today, about an hour ago, the buzzer sounded again and the flashing 'AL' appeared. Pressing the alarm button changed the display to -05 briefly before returning to a steady 'AL'. The freezer has not been opened today. I have again pressed 'super' but now have a bad feeling about what might be wrong (with a freezerfull of food). Can you help?....Robin Fairweather
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The message is indicating that there is likely an issue with the fan not turning or temperature not being reached. It is likely a very simple fix. If you have any items in the freezer blocking or restricting the vent you will want to move them out of the way of the incoming cool air.

canuck the pro :

Items blocking or restricting the incoming will cause the evaporator to freeze up beyond what the small heater can melt off and cause issues just like this.

canuck the pro :

To repair this you can remove the panel on the back and melt the ice on the evaporator with a hair dryer or empty the freezer and fridge and unplug it then leave the doors open for at least 24 hours. Clean it really well especially at the bottom of the fridge once it is defrosted.

canuck the pro :

Be careful to not place items in the freezer so that they do not deflect the cool incoming air.

canuck the pro :

The best choice, although inconvenient is to empty the fridge and freezer and defrost it and clean as described. That way the condensate drain will be cleared in the cleaning process.

canuck the pro :

If you use the dryer method be sure to clean the bottom of the fridge since the condensation created may cause a blockage on the condensate drain in the fridge.

Customer:

Is the panel inside or outside the freezer? If outside, I can't get at it.

canuck the pro :

The panel is outside on the back of the fridge/freezer

Customer:

As the appliance is integrated into a cupboard in a fitted kitchen I won't be able to get at the panel. Would a good defrost and clean do it? The temp is now showing as -18 again.

canuck the pro :

Yes it will and it is the best way to go about it anyway. I am not sure if you saw my description a couple comments ago but to add to that the hair dryer method only saves the inconvenience of having to empty everything but really doesn't address a couple small issues like ice that may have formed around the vent and any dust and debris that can be washed down by the condensation and block the small drain at the bottom. The cleaning part is an important part of avoiding this happening in the future.

Customer:

Yes, that is clear now - thank you very much.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome!