Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a fridge freezer and the freezer compartment rarely

I have a fridge freezer and the freezer compartment rarely drops below -5C. How can I make it colder?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the make and model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bosch "No" Frost

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok do you have the model number? Its usually behind the salad box inside the fridge section and starts E-nr

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KGU3102GB/54

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for that. If the freezer is only getting to -5 degs then its possibley a blocked evaporator inside the freezer of ice stopping the air flow around the freezer.

What you need to do is remove the baskets inside the freezer an then remove the back panel.

There you will see the evaporator. If this is blocked up with ice defrost it with a hairdryer and see how that goes from there.

Or if you don't want to remove panels you need to empty the appliance and turn it off for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open as this will allow the ice to melt.

Then retry the appliance and fingers crossed this will get the freezer back down to -18 again and get it working.

Let me know how it goes or what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will try this. However we were given the appliance by my daughter who said it never worked when in their garage as it was too cold??? When we set in up in our utility room (temp 15-20C) it worked briefly down to ca -10C but only if we repeatedly pressed the boost button. does it still sound like a blocked evaporator?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok so when you turned it on after moving it from your daughters to your house it never got down to -18 degs?

If you feel the compressor at the back at the bottom is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, never got below -10C. Yes the compressor is hot to touch.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok forget the evaporator as it wont be that. Didn't realise its been doing it since you got it.

Not good news im afraid the compressor is at fault. Its more then likely a poor pumping compressor. As they can go weak so its not able to pump the gas around at a good pressure for it to get cold enough. There is no adjustment you can go as it will need to have a new compressor.

But this isn't a cheap repair as a new compressor is about £200 so probberly not worth the repair.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks for your help. Bye

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Your very welcome.

Good bye

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.