Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

whirlpool art 477/4 - integrated fridge freezer. Hi

Customer Question

whirlpool art 477/4 - integrated fridge freezer.

Hi I have one of the above units, we're finding that we're having to push the door right in when closing it, in order for the fridge to pull down temperature and keep the contents suitably cold.

As the freezer component appears to be working correctly (and I do not see any problems with the compressor) is there anything I can do practically, to persuade the door to close properly without having to push the door right in as suggested?

Thanks in advance.!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Check the machine hasn't moved back slightly.
The décor door could be stopping the fridge door closing properly.

Disconnect the décor door from the fridge and see if the door closes properly now.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ta. will do this eve when back in from work.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for bearing with me.

I've had the decor door off (which means the fridge door is a lot lighter than normal) there is some suction when the door closes but not to the extent that I see with the freezer door.

Same applies with decor door back on. I'd considered whether the sliding mechanism (bracket) had a role in the situation, with the decor door adding a bit of weight to the closure process so I was able to adjust it and allow more than enough room for the door to close. Again, while I see some suction, its not of the extent of the freezer door.

the unit itself is held into the carcass by screws at the top. There's no sign of movement (I guess movement would rupture the melamine / chipboard) and the base of the unit certainly hasn't moved.

What do you think?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The fridge door won't give the same suction as the freezer, it's not as cold in the fridge.

If any part of the seal isn't touching the casing it won't seal properly.

By pushing the door, you may be pushing the seal onto the cabinet and the magnet in the seal then holds it in place.

Difficult to check with the machine in situ but you need to check the seal is ok.

Let me know what you find.