Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

how do you remove the drain pump on a Zanussi ZWF1220W

Customer Question

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the product number of the appliance please?
it's on a label in the door recess.

You'll need to prefix the number with A to prevent it being crossed out when posted.

eg. A914419941 00

What drain plug are you referring to?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

Product No ********* 01

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, you didn't prefix the number so it's been crossed out.
I also asked for detail regarding the item you call a drain plug.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

soz meant drain pump machine not emptying .filter already cleaned 3 hair clips and loads of debri removed problem with pump looks like impellor knackered just need to know how to get pump out

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, I still need the product number.
You need to prefix the number with A so I can read it or, put a space between each number

eg 9 1 4 4 1 9 9 4 1 0 0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A ********* 01 or 9 1 4 7 8 0 7 2 8 0 1

I need to know how to remove the drain pump

Do you have a schematic

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You have a couple of options on this.
One is to remove the top and rear half of the casing so you can take the pump off of the filter housing, or, you can lay the machine onto it's left side (on towels) and see if you can work on the pump there.

The easiest access is to take the rear half off.

To take off the rear half, unplug the machine.
Take the top off.
Take the bolts on the rear out.
Take the bolts along each upper edge out (note where they fit).
At the bottom centre each side, take the plastic plug out.
Take out the revealed screws.
Unclip the plastic part at the top rear that carries the water and power lead.
Now pull the rear half of the casing off.

You can now reach in from the side/rear and take the pump off.
2 types, 1 is secured by screws the other is a twist fit held by a plastic lock/latch.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me

I have the exploded view (schematic) but it simply shows the location of the part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok I'll give that a whirl and get back to you

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, good luck with it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi ,

I tried both your suggestions and neither worked.

The first laying machine on side and working from beneath is no good as you can not onto the fixings to release pump from filter housing and even if you could and seperate the two sections ie pump and filter housing you would not be able to re-seat the new " O " and re secure the two components to create a water tight seal.

The second option only allows you to release the electrical spade terminals and get onto one of the fixings of the pump the work space is very limited due to the location the pipes and and emergency emptying hose you cant even get onto the release clips which are a combination of spring type and dubilee type. I have now sorted it . you have to remove the rear section remove two hidden fixings which hold the front panel.

refit the rear panel and fixings to support the metal top frame to which

the drum springs attach

Remove top facia panel

Pack inside with towels and card board to support / stabalise drum

Remove front panel after first removing spring to release door rubber

and door latch screws release door latch unit

Lay machine down and release plastic fixings from underside of machine which then releases pump and filter housing as a complete unit .

After first releasing all pipe connections and electrical tabs .

New pump now fitted to filter housing water tested and reinstalled machine back together and working

With respect your suggestions were unsuccessful

As you can see from my notes my method was .

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
With respect, you certainly don't need the front off.
I've done pumps on a near daily basis and have never done any of the work you suggest.

I'm glad you found a method that suited you.
However, I gave you brief instructions on how I do the job.
You aren't used to the clips, I am and I do them from the back every time.

I'm sorry you found my suggestions unsuccessful but not everyone can do the work the same way as the professional. We don't get all day to do the work, we get around 40 minutes so a complete strip down is out of the question.

Good luck with the appliance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It did not take me all day to do the work .

and I did not have to strip down all the machine

I,m merely suggesting that your suggestions were not the most helpful.

How many Zanussi ZWF1220W machines have you worked on ? and how many call backs do you get ?

You certainly would NOT remove the dubilee clip for the back as you cant

get onto it ,unless you've multiple jointed wrists.

Its odd that you prefer to work from the back when the access is easier

from the front especially as the pump and filter housing unit is located there.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me who I can complain to about you .

I am TOTALLY DISSATISFIED .

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Not sure why you want to complain or about what.

I didn't say "you took all day to do the job".
I said "we don't get all day to do the job".
I am, however, fairly sure you took a lot more than 40 minutes.

I advised on how I do the job and what I consider to be the easiest method.
Access from the front involves taking the rear off first, then removing the fixings for the front, then refitting the rear, taking the front off, which also requires taking other parts off, such as the door seal.
Reassembly is the reverse of the strip down so that's probably at least 3 times longer than my method.

I have a comprehensive toolkit for working on Zanussi machines.
I worked for Zanussi so I probably worked on a few thousand machines in my time with them. Not all on the same model.
Not sure why my call back rate is of interest to you but it's extremely low at less than 3% across all appliances.

As I said in my previous post, I'm glad you found a method you preferred and that you had achieved your goal.

You may contact customer services to make your complaint but quite frankly, I've read through the entire exchange and I see nothing where I've not been polite throughout.
I have tried to assist you and I'm sorry that you are not happy with the assistance I provided.

You haven't paid me for any advice, check your Just Answer account, your deposit is still there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME THE TEL NO FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AS I NEED TO CONTACT THEM ASAP

I AM ALSO CONCERNED THAT AT THE BOTTOM OF PREVIOUS EMAILS IT SUGGESTS THAT I'VE REGISTERED AN ACCOUNT?

WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT ?

I HAVE NOT ELECTED TO SIGN UP FOR ANY OF THE OPTIONS IE

BASIC ,STANDARD OR PREMIUM PLEASE CONFIRM THAT I HAVE

NOT BEEN CONNED I NEED TO GET THIS SORTED NOW

I CANT FIND THE INFO YOU REFER TO IN JUST ANSWER

ACCOUNT HOW DO YOU ACCESS IT ?

THANKYOU

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
I'm really sorry but I don't have access to your account.

All I can do is refer the question to customer services.
They should then contact you regarding your account.

There should be links on the pages you see that take you to customer services and to your account.
Unfortunately, I don't see these either.

I'll refer the question now, it does lock the question though so you will lose contact with me.