Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hello. Bought a second hand Siemens American fridge freezer

Customer Question

Hello.

Bought a second hand Siemens American fridge freezer model no KA58NA40GB/09

Has a few problems
1. The water in the ice cube maker tray is not freezing. When I press the reset button the tray is turning and refilling and if I put anything in the top compartment in the door that is not freezing.

2. The fridge and the water is not chilling

The person who I bought it from on ebay said the only thing wrong was the ice maker was not dispensing ice, think he knew all along the problems.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you check the compressor on the back is it getting really hot? Any ice forming on the coils? Do you see any oily substance on any of the coils? I assume you do not have it on the off setting?

JACUSTOMER-v0k5oeh2- :

Hi Mike

canuck the pro :

JACUSTOMER-v0k5oeh2- :

Hi Mike. Compressor is warm not hot. Large motor next to it seems to be working ,fan is turning. No Ice.No Oil. Don't know about the on/ setting where is that. Had a look at the fan behind what says Multi-Airflow in fridge, that is not turning. I had asked for advice the forum for two faults 1the fridge problem and 2 the ice is not freezing in the ice cube maker tray Have been told on the forum it will be the freezer motor for the ice and that motor sends cold air to the fridge. The fridge is cool but not cold

canuck the pro :

The setting is inside the fridge. Have you turned the setting up?

canuck the pro :

Had you laid the fridge down to move it or did you have it upright for moving it? How long after moving it did you wait until powering it?

JACUSTOMER-v0k5oeh2- :

Hi Mike. Compressor "big ball shape Yes?" is warm not hot. No Ice. No Oil. On off setting? Where is that? Large motor beside compressor seems to be working fan is turning. Also looked at the fan behind what say's Multi-Airflow,that is not turning. Did ask on the forum two questions 1 Ice not freezing in ice maker trays and the fridge not chilling, and was told needs new freezer fan as this would fix ice problem and it sends cold air from the freezer to fridge. The fridge is cool but not cold enough. Regards sam

canuck the pro :

Okay. I have read the question, but I may have several questions before we can determine the issue. The setting and on/off is inside the fridge. Is the setting off or on low? When moving the fridge did it get laid down or was it kept in the upright position? How long after moving was it powered up?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Do you still need help?
thank you
tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike.

Sorry have had problems getting back into your messages.

Fridge freezer was delivered upright then turned on straight away.

Have switched off light in fridge held it for 30seconds and fan has come on. Done same with freezer, fan did not come on.

Filled ice maker with ice but it is melting.

So do I need a freezer fan motor and is it easy enough to fit or would I need an engineer?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi they may have known the issues.
We will solve them.
Please explain if the freezer or the fridge isnt getting cold. I suspect the fridge isnt and the ice maker isnt working.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Freezer is getting cold,but don't think it circulating as certain parts are not freezing and as you say ice maker not freezing. Fan working in fridge, it's cool but not chilling.!
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi please check the door seals, that may not be the issue, but its the first step.
Yo will need to defrost the entire unit for 24 hours, with the doors opn and then see how it operates you may need a part, but its all easy to replace.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok will do that and contact you with result.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi thats fine I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you *****
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

r u there

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi, also to let you know, if the freezer isnt cold enough the ice maker wont work either
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Haven't been able to defrost the freezer yet,but dismantled everything to have a look at were the fan is in the freezer.

Found the fan at the back of the freezer. I am now confused!!

Should both fans freezer&fridge work constantly?

Both seem to be working intermittently, meaning when I open the doors I can see them spinning for a few seconds and sometimes I open the doors and nothing???

Have I found the fan you have mentioned in the freezer or is there another?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi they should run as they need to. As required by the main control board and thermostat.
But if they arent running, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I said they are running intermittently. Do you still suggest to defrost overnight?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi yes I do suggest a 24 hours full defrost doors open.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. If it is not the freezer fan motor, what would be the next step?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi did you defrost the unit fully yet?
I need to know that to be sure what to tell you.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just turned it off this morning, will contact tomorrow when it has had 24hrs.When that's done do I just turn it back on and see how it's working? How long doe's it have to be on for ?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi please defrost it with the doors open, 24 hours. Then when it is back on, let me know after 8 hours of run time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Have defrosted left it to 8 hours.
Fridge fan is coming on, but still not chilling.
Freezer: The fan came on at first but hasn't for quite a while.
Freezer seems to have frozen.
Don't know if it's relevant. The pipes behind where the freezer fan sits
Are frosted over,don't know if it's because I have the plastic cover off.
Don't know if ice maker will freeze cubes and turn them out yet. Was waiting to hear from you before putting it all back together.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi are they evenly frosted?
Or have spots that didnt freeze?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael
Have been away for a few days. Have just checked the freezer the pipes are evenly frosted.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thnk you thats good,
When you put the wall back on let me know if its cooling correctly now also if the fan back there runs well;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Saga continues.

Put the panel back. Freezer seems cold enough, but fan not working, have tried pressing the on off switch as I had before when it worked, but not working. Seems strange as it was before.

Haven't put the ice maker back together yet.

Fridge fan working ok,but not chilling.

What's next ????

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi try replacing the fan, if you have a meter, you could test the port for power to be sire you have power there, but in most cases the fan fails;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since my last message the fan has come on,I am at a loss??

But the fridge compartment is not chilling properly.

Asked you previously about when the fans come on????

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi please check the the electronic ven to the fridge, let me know if its open or stuck closed? Its between the fridge and the freezer on the left side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was thinking that way myself.please find attached photo of vent in fridge.Is there a vent coming from the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the last message I am getting is the photographs I sent you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi have sent you a few messages since your last response.

you mention an electronic vent? have sent photographs of what I think is the vent next to the fan in the fridge

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi if you can hear the fan inside the freezer, then you dont need a fan.
If the fan is running, them place your hand near the vent inside fridge compartment, if you dont feel cold air, then the electronics inside that vent need to be replaced.
So then you would order the servo vent.
Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, how do you get to the back of the vent ? do you come from the back of the fridge or do you have to take the panels out from the inside?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mick.

Have had a new Freezer fan motor fitted yesterday.

Good news, working as it should and the ice maker working as well,which is a bonus as was told it wouldn't tip the ice out.

Thanks for all your advice and help.

Regards Sam

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome Sam, glad I could help!
Tech Michael