Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My whirlpool is the older type I cant get the door to unlock

My whirlpool is the older type I can't get the door to unlock at all
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry to hear that.
may I have the full model #?
Also how old your washer is?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Washing machine is over 10 yr old it only has SAM 219 on it

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you Ann,
Do the controls light up?
Also what is showing there?
And is there a key symbol on?
Thank you *****
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes no key symbol everything seems ok except door won't open at all

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes no key symbol everything seems ok except door won't open at all its AWM 219 don't know why letters keep changing

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Ann, what you will need is a new door lock.
please try this
Avoid trying to force the door open by pulling on it or by using tools to pry it open. The only thing you can possibly accomplish doing this is to break the door, the lock or both, resulting in a hefty repair bill.

2
Unplug the washer or trip the circuit breaker. The washer will reset and this could cause the door to unlock.

3
Look inside the washer through the front window to see if there is water in the drum. If you see water, the washer may not have drained completely. Select the "Spin and Drain" option. Once the water remaining in the washer has drained, the door will unlock. If the washer will not drain, try these solutions: Check the drain hose to make sure it is not clogged; unclog it if necessary. Adjust the drain hose and ensure there is an air gap between the standpipe and the hose.

4
Check the washer control panel to see if the "Add a Garment Light" is on. If it is, press "Start/Pause" once and the door should unlock.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's just the door won't unlock no matter what I try do I need a repair man

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ann that would be the quickest way to have this fixed, but he will need to replace the door lock mechanism.
I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you *****