Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a Whirlpool Chest freezer model AFG070AP. The red led

We have a Whirlpool Chest freezer model AFG070AP. The red led alarm light uis flashing. The lid is properly shut and the grill at the back is clean. The light started to flash when we put something in to open freeze and turned on the fast freeze button. The freezer is pretty full (with food for a party for which I'm catering next week) and I'm desperate!!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Is the freezer starting to defrost?

Also can you feel the compressor on the right hand side running? There may be a plastic cover over it if so can you hear it running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I feel the right hand side of the freezer I can feel it buzzing, which I can't feel on the left hand side.

Don't know if it's started to defrost; why would it do this??

Ceri

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok the red alarm light flashes if the temperature drops below -14 or if you load it up with quite a lot of food as this removes the cold in there fast so the temperature raises up fast and can cause the light to come on.

As to the buzzing you hear on the right then it sounds like the compressor is running as that's on the right. Theres nothing on the left so that's why you don't hear it so thast normal.

What I suggest is turn the fast freeze on as this keeps the compressor running longer to get to a lower temperature so it should get cold enough to turn the red light off.

Monitor it over the next hour and leave it running with the fast freeze on and let me know if the light goes off. Fingers crossed it will.

Don't go turning it off and on as this causes the over load in the compressor to cut out so stops the compressor from running for up to 10 mins each time so just leave for an hour and let me know what happens. Im online till about 11pm.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will leave fast freeze on and let you know what happens.

:O)

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No worries speak soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid that the red alarm light is still flashing (22:35) :O(.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok if the red light is still on then im afraid the temperature is rising in there so you may find its going to stat to defrost.

If you can you need to start to move the contents of the freezer to another freezer if you can otherwise you may loose them.

But as the compressor is running then its looking like a system fault here. Either short of gas or a poor pumping compressor. For this fault you need to get a fridge engineer in as this isn't a diy fix. As they will need to put there gauges in the pipe work to see whats happening in there and to see which it is.

Sorry this isn't good news but you need to try and move the items if you can.

As its still running at the moment if you keep the lid closed it should be ok till morning as it will stay frozen then hopefully you can get someone out tomorrow to sort it. Or depending on how old it is get a new one as a new compressor is about the £200 mark so if its an older model you may be best with a new freezer.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The light has just stopped flashing!!

Thank you Daniel and thank you God!

Have a good night and weekend.

Ceri :O) :O)

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Haha nice one. Maybe it just needed a bit more time.

As its stopped flashing then its reach temperature so fingers crossed should be fine now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again