Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Rotec 43 stopped working smoke coming from motor when trying

Rotec 43 stopped working smoke coming from motor when trying to restart
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Had the oil been changed regularly? When you try to start it does the motor seem to turn over at all?

Customer: This is a electric mower
canuck the pro :

I see. I will opt out and open to other experts.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your problem about your mower. Unfortunately, what you described doesn't sound very good for your mower. What happened to the motor is the windings inside the motor got hot and shorted or if you are lucky, the brushes alone got smoked in which case could be replaced however it will require major disassemble. In my experience what I had found out is when the brushes are gone, the bushing in the armanchure have been extremely worn and are need of replacement as well. The replacement cost for a new motor is about 160.00 and not knowing what you paid for yours and how long ago, it might be better to buy a new one.

You could also remove the motor hood and look at the wire harness and see if it had gotten hot and melted. I have only seen this twice with these units. I'm sorry and I wish I had better news for you. I wish you the best.
Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances