canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Hi, We have an American style Samsung fridge/freezer. The

We have an American style Samsung fridge/freezer. The arm sensor for the ice level broke recently but the machine still produced ice and drinking water as normal.

We realised that we had to control the amount of ice produced by turning the water off at source. We recently went on vacation for 2 weeks but on this occasion forgot to turn off the water and returned to a freezer full of ice. We managed to clear the ice from the compartment and hoped that it would return to normal. The water flows into the drinking water section but unfortunately the it does not flow into the ice compartment.

What should we do now?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The reason that it will no longer fill is likely that there is a cube lodged in the machine keeping it from turning and releasing new ice.

Customer:

The ice unit does turn by hand but fails to fill with water. As previously stated we have took the measure of unplugging and leaving the unit to defrost. Another feature of the problem is that the temperature display (which was clearly visible prior to this problem) has now visibly faded.

Customer:

An 'twin cooling' on the display unit has now lit up.

canuck the pro :

The twin cooling indicates that a unique feature of your fridge is activated. Most fridge/freezers have one evaporator that operates both but in this model there are separate cooling and evaporators for the fridge and the freezer. Does the freezer still cool?

Customer:

Yes the freezer does still cool and the drinking water is also cooled - the model is RS56XDJNS1/XEF

canuck the pro :

Since the bar is broken off can you tell if the mechanism that the bar was attached to has been switched to the off position?

canuck the pro :

I imagine that what has happened is the mechanism got switched by the ice. The arm is there for operation. If you contact Samsung they may even send another bar to attach. They do have a limited lifetime warranty. Although it may be out of warranty often manufacturers will offer small parts like that anyway.

Customer:

Yes the stub of the bar is in the down position and we have had this situation for a few months. The ice has been produced normally but we have controlled it by turning the water off when the ice compartment was filled. Recently we forgot to switch the water off and now have this problem.

canuck the pro :

The float may be stuck up and that may only have been the issue before but the float was stuck in the fill position. I am trying to load a breakdown diagram so you will be able to see what part it is. It may take a few minutes for me to figure out how to load it.

Customer:

When we operate the float stub manually, no water is coming into the chamber from the tube at the back and the spring to the float is operating normally by hand and the ice carriage can be rotated. Just no water!

canuck the pro :

Is there a click when you operate the float?

canuck the pro :

I hope we don't need the diagram. I am having trouble getting it to load.

Customer:

No click when the float is operated.

canuck the pro :

Great! So the trouble to begin with was that float switch. It was beginning to fail when it was stuck in the fill position and now it is stuck in the off position. Replace the float switch and all will be well. I would start by contacting Samsung. They may send it for free. I am not promising they will but they do have a history of excellent customer service even for items that are out of warranty. I had a customer a couple months ago needed a PCB that was a bit pricey. I asked them to call Samsung and they sent them a new one for free and all they had to do was pay me a bit to replace it.

canuck the pro :

The contact information should be in the back of your manual or on the inside of the door on the label with the model number etc.

canuck the pro :

They can also tell you the correct part number if they will not replace it.

Customer:

Do you have any comment on why the display unit has faded?

canuck the pro :

Sorry I was concentrating so much on one issue I neglected the other. Is the display still visible just faded?

Customer:

Faded

Customer:

but twin cooling light is on, normally it is not lit up

canuck the pro :

Isn't there a brightness setting?

Customer:

no

Customer:

part of the number display is visible, whereas some is not

canuck the pro :

You may want to check the PCB connections. There is a panel on the back to access it. Unplug the power and wait one hour then remove the panel and remove the PCB. Inspect the capacitor to be sure it is not bulging or leaking. The capacitor must be perfectly flat on top. Inspect the back of the board and look for faint signs of scorch marks. After that then replace the board and be sure that all connectors are making good contact before restoring power.

canuck the pro :

Hopefully it is just a loose connection or the capacitor which is pretty easy to replace if you can electronics solder.

Customer:

Ok thank you very much for your help.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. I am glad to help.