Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

zanussi zcv661mw cooker. only a few months old, it worked fine

Customer Question

zanussi zcv661mw cooker. only a few months old, it worked fine untill last night. The main oven and the grill/oven do not work, all hot plates work fine
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

In reading your note, it sounds like everything had just quit on you

Customer:

appart from the hot plates

Gary :

I'm sorry to hear that. Is this unit electric or gas?

Customer:

electric

Gary :

thank you ... Let me pull your unit up and see what we can find out

Gary :

Can you tell me apart from the hot plates, does your clock still work?

Customer:

no clock

Gary :

OK, thanks

Gary :

Does the lamp in your oven work?

Customer:

nothing in the ovens work

Gary :

Thank ... Ok the problem is electrical. One of the "power" feeds to your appliance isn't making connection. This could be that you have a tripped breaker or blown fuse. It is also common that for some reason where your stove is tied into the main power supply has become loose and not making connection. So how are you on electrical work?

Customer:

i am a boiler engineer...

Customer:

the hot plated all work so that kinda ruled out the power feeds??

Gary :

OK, with a voltage meter you can verify power to your unit. The hot plates works on 1/2 of your power feed

Gary :

for example if this is tied into a 240 V., the plates works on only 120 V.

Gary :

Now here's the thing, since this unit is still under guarantee, there is only so much you want to do before you want to call it quits. Sometimes on the back of the appliances there is "seal" tape attached. If this tape is broken it will void any guatantees you may have.

Customer:

it has a single 240v feed, its tight in the screws,.. it has not been moved from the original installation position,... i cant understand why TODAY it has no power to the ovens ??

Customer:

i have called Zanussi already, they are closed today....

Customer:

i wondered if there was a reset switch somewhere.. just like on boilers.. they have internal fuses and over heat stats

Gary :

No I'm sorry there are no "reset" switches nor therm-o cut outs. There could be two possibilities, both will require a meter to trace. I have seen where the wires are tied together inside of the appliance have become loose, or have broken contact because of arching between the contacts. This could also be the power switch to your oven. It is very seldom that the grill and heating element will go out at the same time. Since the light does not come on in the oven, indicates that the problem is the "main" feed to the oven it's self.

Gary :

It will require some tracking to find the problem.

Customer:

ok. i will get to it...ty

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances