Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

hot point washing machine not working. On/off switch not lighting

hot point washing machine not working. On/off switch not lighting up to show power at switch .Checked socket live, checked fuse in plug. I am not electrically minded and don't have the tools to check electrical supplys. Can something else stop the power light from coming on and hense machine not starting?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have the model number to hand at the moment. It is my daughters machine and she is not available at the moment.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok no worries once you get the model number let me know and then I can take a look at it for you and see whats in there that can cause this fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Machine is a hotpoint Aquarius model number WD 440 with a 1400 spin. Hope this helps.Got to go out now so no hurry for reply. regards Charlie.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, Machine is a hotpoint Aquarius model number WD440 with a 1400 spin

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

On this there isn't any internal fuses or anything like this. What you need to do is remove the top and from there at the back you will see the mains filter. This is the part which the power cable goes into. Check this and make sure it hasn't burnt out as these like to burn out. If it has then the mains cable will need to be replaced as it comes complete.

If that's ok then you need to remove the control board from the bottom of the washer and open the plastic casing. Remove the board from the casing and see if theres any signs of burning on there. If so then the control board will need to be replaced.

If that looks ok then im afraid you are left with either a faulty front display board or the main board at the bottom at the back. Theres no test you can do on there is a case or replacing it and seeing which is the faulty part. But control boards are very expensive and the rear one needs to be reprogramed with the Hotpoint laptops so sometimes not worth fixing on an older model.

But check the mains filter and cable first as you never know it may just be that.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.