Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi, We have a Neff fridge freezer (model K4254X6BG/01) in

Customer Question

We have a Neff fridge freezer (model K4254X6BG/01) in out flat. It was very quite until the past 4 yrs of operation. Since last couple of weeks it started to make noise whenever the compressor is turning on and goes silent then it turns off.
Is this normal or there is a problem with the compressor.

Thanks,
VJ
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Is the noise from the compressor?
Is the machine integrated or free standing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From the little knowledge I have I reason I think it was the compressor is when I turned the thermostat from 5 to 8 while the noise was coming, the noise stopped. I might be wrong.

It is a integrated.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

You would need to take the machine out to double check this.
There's a small possibility the compressor suspension (rubber mounts) are to blame.
If they are ok and it's the compressor vibrating and making the noise I'm afraid you would need a new compressor and a regas to cure the problem.

This would be expensive (circa £200) and would require a refrigeration engineer to do the work.

If you can, check to see if it's the rubber mounts first.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if I will be able to take it out of the cabinet. Is there any other signs that I can look for to see if it is a compressor problem? The cooling is good with the thermostat set to 5.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No, unless it's out of the cabinet, all you have is a noisy compressor.

It's the only item on this machine that can make the noise.
It's why that you need to investigate.