Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

NEXTRA HNT 5146 washing machine taking up to an hour longer

NEXTRA HNT 5146 washing machine taking up to an hour longer than it should on cycle times. What can be causing this to happen
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Is the washer draining the water out ok during the wash and spin?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does but there is evidence of a small water leak from under the front of the washer.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok so we know its not a draining fault.

Are you getting any flashing lights from it on the control panel?

If so then count the number of flashes from it in between the pause and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the panel lights flash until the machine is turned off at the mains. Not really noticed if they flash for so long then pause.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok when they flash its an error code. So it may flash say 7 times pause for a second or so and flash again and so on.

But as its washing for a long time but draining out ok its usually either a heating fault or the control board has failed.

To test the heater you need a multi meter so remove the back and heater is in the bottom of the drum.

Just check the wires are fine and with the meter test the resistance of the heater. It should be about 29 ohms so if faulty then the heater will need to be replaced.

But if the heater is fine and its still taking ages to do a wash then its possible the control board at fault here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks Daniel I will check this out.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries just let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

27.2 Ohms on heater, is that ok.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok yeap the heater is fine.

So if its still playing up and the heater is ok and its filling and draining ok but taking ages to do a wash then im afraid is looking like the control board here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do another wash tomorrow, and watch for the flashing LED's it's supposedly the START and PAUSE LED's on this model.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok no worries just see what happens and if they start to flash just count the number of flashes inbetween the pause and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Thanks Daniel.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel the wash cycle stopped an hour into a 2 hour wash cycle. Wife said the prewash and start lights were flashing, she counted 8 flashes then the pause.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok that's great thanks.

8 flashes is a motor related. What you need to do is remove the back panel and you will see the motor at the bottom of the drum.

Remove the motor and at the back either sides you will see the carbon brushes. Take them out and inspect them. See if they have worn down, If so then you need to replace them.

But if the motor brushes look fine then its either a faulty motor itself or the control board.

As you have a multi meter then locate the tacho tags. You will see the 2 wires going to the back of the motor in the middle.

Test the 2 tags for continuity.

Then test the next 2 tags which should be the field and give a reading.

Then the next 2 should be the armature so test that as well and if that reads all ok then you are looking at a faulty control board here im afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok will do, but won't be able to do this until tomorrow.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
No worries thats fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel, just got out of the back of the washer. The brushes are fine, got about 25mm on them and the readings are all ok. Now there are two pcb boards I can see on the washer, the bigger one sits vertically in the back of the washer ( Top left corner, under the program selector knob) The smaller board sits flat under the washer control panel. Which board needs replacing? ( Not sure which is the control board )

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if the readings are all fine then its looking like the control board. Now it will be the bigger as the smaller one that's under the control panel is just the user board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help "Great service" I will now try to source the board.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries your very welcome.

If you haven't already if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.