Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We own a Siemens Washer Dryer model IQ3000purchased in 2013.

We own a Siemens Washer Dryer model IQ3000purchased in 2013. It has just started making a load mechanical straining or grinding noise on the draining cycle. Are there any suggestions?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Does it make the noise even if the drum isn't turning?

Is the noise coming from the filter area?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It makes the noise when the drum is turning at the end of the wash cycle. Difficult to say where the sound comes from other than within the machine. Sounds like a grinding motor/ slipping gears

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok open the door and turn the drum by hand do you hear the noise?

If not then hold the metal drum at the bottom at the front and can you lift it up and down a bit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The answer to both questions is 'no'. To be clear the grinding noise is when the drum is nOT turning but water is draing out which I why I wondered if it was the pump ?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok sorry in the above question you said It was when the drum turned.

If its when its not turning then its something to do with the pump. Remove the filter again and look inside the chamber were the filter goes and at the back you will see the pump impeller X shape. Check theres nothing stuck in there so the impeller is hitting it.

But if that's all clear then its the drain pump at fault. As on these they use a magnetic run pump which are not the quiteist pumps and can go noisey so its not uncommon for these pumps to do this.

As you only got the washer in 2013 then it will still be under warrenty as they come with a 2 year warrenty as standered so give Siemens a ring and get them to replace the pump.

Or if you don't have a warrenty or you just want to fix it yourself then you will need to replace the drain pump and that will sort the fault out for you.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.