Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

HI, I have a heat storage cooker (AGA) 4 oven model Serial

HI,

I have a heat storage cooker (AGA) 4 oven model Serial No. 11/ A0239092 voltage 230V
The cooker was installed 2.5 years ago. We are away on holiday soon for 3 weeks. My question. What can Iturn the AGA down to. It is at 3.5 at the moment.

Kind Rgds,
Annette
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

In reading your note Annette, I don't know if you want to keep something like this on while you are away for such a long period. On the side of safety, you always have that chance of something to go wrong, and with no one there to keep an eye on things you could come home to a real mess, or no home at all. To leave something like this unattended you create the possibility of a combustion fire. With no air movement heat will build up and a fire could start. People sometimes forget little things like that and not realize just how much air moves through a house as the day goes on. Doors opening and closing, windows open, or the A/C on plus you add simple body movement in a house with you and the family walking around, if not running. That's a lot of air movement and all this helps dissipate heat. Now, when you are gone, this movement drops dramatically and this is where problems start. Even at night heat builds up ... this is how restaurants fires happen at night. What I would recommend is that since you have the ability to turn it off, I would do so. It wouldn't hurt to give your stove a break, and when you come home the time it would take to get it back up to temp is minor. This will also help in saving on your appliance, plus save you on some energy cost. If you have any other questions, please ask. I wish you the best, ***** ***** your vacation. Gary

Customer: Hi Gary,
Customer: Hi Gary, I think the AGA people prefer one does not turn off the AGA . I think they suggest turning it right down. If I turn this particular model off. How long will it take to come back up to cooking temperature? Regards ***** ***** R
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.
Hi . It takes 6 hours from cold to get back to temperature. If you want to keep the low flame lit then turn the gas control knob to the flame symbol. This will stop the gas going to high rate and keep some warmth in the oven . On returning turn the gas control back to previous position . Hope this helps
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced