Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi I got a problem with my fridge Thetford fridge that is

I got a problem with my fridge Thetford fridge that is only 17 months old.
The fridge wont cool on electric , gas or 12v . The LED display works perfectly and lets you know that you are connected to whichever power you choose. The pipes at the back get warm / hot .
Everything appears to be working as normal except the fact that its not cooling at all .
Any simple ideas that I may try ?
Thank you ,
Kevin
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

Most RV refrigerators use ammonia rather than freon to cool them. After a period of time the ammonia goes to the bottom of the coils and quits cooling. Remove the propane line and unplug the unit and pull it out of the wall. Turn it upside down, you will hear the ammonia return to the accumulator tank and leave set for 24hrs. Then turn it right side up and plug in the cord to check it. I know this sounds funny but it works, and it sure beats 700.00 for a new one. Then reinstall

Gary :

If you are not comfortable in doing this, I suggest you have a friend help or take it to a dealer. As for the propane line, it's simple enough. Just turn off the gas, and slowly crack the line to release pressure. Please remember don't smoke while doing this. Once the pressure is released, you can disconnect the line from the fridge. Again if you do not feel comfortable, don't do it. Have a friend help. If you have any other questions, please ask. I wish you the best.

Customer:

Thank you Gary ,

Customer:

I have tried to disconnect the gas line at the back of the fridge last night. Is there a special trick to this because I would consider myself to be reasonably strong but there was no way that the joints were moving for me . It almost appeared if the joints / nuts were sealed on a permanent basis ? Will I just be more aggressive with it ? As I said I was a little apprehensive about the gas line. If the gas supply is switched off what is the worst that could happen ? Can I damage the connections by applying extra force. Thanks again Gary .

Gary :

In my experience, you can but it will take an awful lot. As long as you use the correct tools you will be fine. As far as the worse that can happen, well you will break the fitting.

Customer:

Gary , I now have the fridge out and turned upside down. I cracked the copper pipe , but I will be sure to have this fixed by a certified pro . Is it unusual for the ammonia to go to the bottom of the coils on a fridge that's only 17 months old. Is this likely to keep happening ? Is there something that causes this to happen quicker than it should ? In 24 hours can I reconnect this fridge and check if its working using the 240v ( electric hook up ) alone. it may take a few days to get a certified gas technician to repair the copper gas connection so I would like to know if its working ( even on electric hook up ) before I get someone in to repair the copper connection. Thanks again Gary . Fingers crossed.

Gary :

Gary :

Ok, here we go ... no it isn't unusual for this to happen. These fridges are not used like a common house hold fridge appliances.

Gary :

As these types of fridges sit, all of the gas settles. In short it is the nature of the beast. The only way to prevent this from happening is to plug in the fridge every 3 months and let it run for a couple of days.

Gary :

After 24 hours, feel free to plug in your fridge and see if it works. Not having the gas connected will not hurt it any

Gary :

I'm sorry about the broken copper line but this will be an easy fix for the person who is doing it.

Gary :

If there is anything else I can do, please ask. Again it won't hurt if you leave the fridge out and plug it in. I wish you the best.

Customer:

Gary , thank you very much for your guidance throughout this task . Even though it was part of my first suggestion regarding turning the fridge upside down , your reassurance that not much could go wrong gave me the confidence I needed to try it.

Gary :

Hi Kevin; You are most welcome. Please let me know if this took care of your problem. Thanks

Customer:

The fridge is now working on 240v electric hook up . I havnt tried it on the vehicle battery yet . I will be getting the copper pipe repaired ASAP and Im confident that it will work fine on both of these options . Is this procedure something that you would recommend doing on a regular basis or just when its needed. I operate a motorhome rental business here in Ireland so underuse isn't really an issue although it does sit around for a few moths between November and March.

Customer:

I will be rating your service as EXCELLENT .

Gary :

Just do it as needed.

Gary :

If it works on your 240, it'll work on the the 12 volt and gas..

Customer:

Brilliant , thanks again Gary. Your a star .

Gary :

Most welcome, enjoy the rest of your day. Take care and I wish you the best.

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances