Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi. I have a NEFF integrated dishwasher S5543X2GB. The machine

Customer Question

Hi. I have a NEFF integrated dishwasher S5543X2GB. The machine died a couple of weeks ago and I diagnosed it as the main controller PCB. I had no lights on and the previous week, the beeper had been getting quieter and quieter. I checked continuity and connections and it all pointed to the PCB. On removal of the PCB there were a number of scorch marks on it, so I was pretty convinced that was the problem. So I bought new one and fitted it today. The DW has come back to life, but as soon as I press the power button, all four lights come on and the DW starts filling. This is even with the door open. I've looked at the float, I think it might be stuck in the down position, but when I manually move the switch up, the DW drains. Once the DW is empty, I put the switch down again and it starts filling again. BTW The DW has sat idle for 2 weeks or so. Any ideas?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

After you replaced the board, did you reset the machine?

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

No, I don't know how to do that.

Gary :

Ok ... that's fine, I'll tell you how.

Gary :

In reading your note here, the float switch you moved is doing what it is suppose to. However did I read this right, that your machine started to fill with the door open?

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

Yes that's correct

Gary :

Well, that's not suppose to happen ... so there could be two things going on ... 1] the door switch is faulty and telling the machine it is ok to fill, or 2] the board in which you received is wrong. Do you have the paper in which we can verify that it is the right one?

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

It's this one http://www.apart4u.co.uk/parts/aphs-bsh492685/so-nr-module-control.html

Gary :

Thank you ... I'm going to check that out for you and here are the instructions to reset your machine. Cancel program (Reset)
Only when the master switch is ON. Press the A and C programme buttons simultaneously and hold them pressed for approx. 3 sec. *** The programme continues for approx. 1 min. The PROGRAMME END indicator and the indicator for the programme that has just been terminated light up. *** Set main switch 1 to OFF. *** Close the detergent compartment 30 .
To restart the dishwasher, set main switch 1 to ON again and select desired programme. Ok, if you have time to do this while I'm here great, and let me know when this is done. I'll look at that board for you.

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

The procedure had no effect. Lights stayed the same and water filled, programme never stopped. Sounds like the float is definitely working because it started draining then re-filling, draining then re-filling.

Gary :

Ok, hold on for a sec ... let me look at something here

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

ok

Gary :

On a chance, while your machine is doing this, does it paulse?

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

Did you mean pulse? No, it is just the normal sounds of water filling and then it alternates between filling and draining.

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

Or pause?

Gary :

That's fine ... well it sounds like you have a blockage in a hose from the filling tank to the sump

Gary :

what happens is this hose blocks up so its slow at filling so what happens is the overflow in the filling tanks activates because the water isn't entering the tub fast enough so it brings the pump on in pluses

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

Not sure about that. I need to watch the float switch. I think the pulsing is the switch from fill to drain once the DW is "full". I'll take a look now

Gary :

It will also effect the impellor jug. With your type of machine this is more common (it's also known as the flow meter)

Gary :

it looks like this

graphic
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

The pulsing is the float switch

Gary :

It's located on the inside just after the inlet valve

Gary :

The best way to deal with this is to unplug it and plug it back in a few times, and on the final one, make sure the connection is tight.

Gary :

If your machine is still doing this, then you'll have to replace this part. Beyond this part is the control board, and you already replaced that.

Gary :

Speaking of which, I compared yours with others, and it looks like you received the correct one

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

How do I get to it. I have the left panel off at the moment and I can't see it.

Gary :

It is next to the inlet valve ... if you can follow the main line into the machine, and it will take you to a electric valve. (inlet) next to that is where you should fine this part.

Gary :

In looking at your machine, you may have to remove the bottom panel of your machine

Gary :

Here is a link to a diagram list. It isn't the correct one, but these machines from model to model really don't change much. I hope this helps. http://www.neff-eshop.com/eshop/neff/gb/prodp.htm?prod=S5444X1GB%2f29&ESHOPTYPE=A

Gary :

The part is located on page 5

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

Impeller seems to be working . I disconnected and ran the DW and could see the difference of the water flow.

Gary :

Ok, does it still fill and drain

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

Actually, just saw the diagram. I think I'm looking at the wrong thing.

JACUSTOMER-yobybksi- :

It's getting late. Can I restart this conversation again tomorrow?

Gary :

Yes, I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time. Thanks

Gary :

Just follow the directions, and I'll get your replies.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did what you said for the impeller.It has made no difference. I think its time for a new DW

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Well that choice is yours if you want to replace it or not. However if you change your mind and want to pursue it further please let me know. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did replace it, but it made no difference. I can't keep buying more parts on the chance it will fix it, so I'm going to call it quits.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I understand, however if you wish to keep it to tinker with on some rainy day please let me know. I wish you the best.