Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I have a Bosch dishwasher SPS 5462GB/19. It was making noises

I have a Bosch dishwasher SPS 5462GB/19. It was making noises like a bearing seizing at times during the cycle. It eventually did not wash the load although the cycle was complete on the indicator and water was left in the base of the machine. The fault was diagnosed as a failed pump. I have had the pump impellor replaced and the technician ran a bit of a programme and said it was OK. However, when I ran a cycle it sounded as though something was happening but the spray arms had not moved and their was little evidence of water in the machine. It does drain but not wash. The heater is working and the dispenser opens.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

I was just reviewing your note here

Customer:

Are you asking for anymore detail?

Gary :

Hi, well I was reviewing my manual and these machines has a history of poor water pressure ...

Gary :

When you looked at the pump in your machine, did you replace the entire pump, or just the empellor?

Customer:

Just the impellor. the motor in the machine had four electrical connections but the replacement the technician brought only had two so he just changed the impellor.

Gary :

Off chance, did you happen to see if the pump spun freely before reinstalling it?

Customer:

No. However, it does drain water.

Gary :

You mentioned little water, is this something new? Or was it part of the problem prior to you having the pump worked on?

Customer:

When the machine became faulty the bottom was full of water but the dishes had not been washed. Now there is still little evidence of the baskets being wet and the spray arms do not move their position but I can hear the water flowing through the supply pipe and feel vibration. So water is going into the machine. I started acycle and opened the door after it sounded as though pumping was happening. there was water in the base. I shut the door for a short time and when i checked again the water had been drained but the arms had still not moved.

Gary :

Thanks, ***** ***** two things that can happen to prevent your arms from moving. 1] the lines leading to the arms are plugged. 2] It's the pump. Now very seldom does both arms not work ... does it mean it can't happen,no but the odds are very slim since they both have their own supply line. So this leads to either the pump motor or the impeller. Here I have seen both. With the motor, the bears go because of wear, and water getting in there. The impeller will go by stripping out on the shaft by having something caught up in there, or when it was worked on prior to my service the wrong one was installed.

Gary :

Another thought, since the water is draining, is the cylinder switch that activates the wash from the drain.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** seems like I would be justified in talking to the repair firm again. The technician did a short test but I did not see what he did. I know he opened the door had a look then closed it again and let it run a bit more before looking again and saying it was now OK.

Gary :

This switch diverts the water to the arms when in wash cycle, and would also devert the water to the drain upon completion.

Gary :

That switch could be stuck in the drain position ...

Gary :

It's one of those repairs you hardly see

Customer:

Is that switch accessable to me or does it need a technician?

Gary :

How handy are you?

Gary :

This switch is located at the bottom on the machine and will require a bit of work

Customer:

Sounds like you need to know what you are doing before tackling it.

Gary :

If you have a good mechanical sense a person can do it.

Gary :

If you are not sure then I would suggest leave it alone and call someone in

Customer:

OK. Thanks for your help I now have a way forward.

Gary :

Good enough ... thank you for using Just Answer. Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No thank you. Have a good weekend.

Gary :

You too. I wish you the best.

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances