KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Bosch exxcel dishwasher not working

Customer Question

Bosch exxcel dishwasher not working
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : Hi Kevin, it's an 'sgs 46e12' Bosch exxcel dishwasher about 2006
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you please elaborate the problem

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : HI, the dishwasher stopped washing about 3 days ago. It makes the preparation sounds but just doesn't spurt water from the spinners. It will do this merrily for the length of a normal cycle. The tray is full of old water. I hope that helps
KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

have you tried to clean the drain pump assembly ?

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : No - is that the assembly I can see when i open the door at the bottom of the machine. Is it simply unscrewing and washing, etc.
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes thats correct

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : Ok, it seems to have a pipe going underneath the metal tray - will the machine contain the water or how should I prepare otherwise.
KevinWhiteJA :

You will have to unplug the unit completely and then take the bottom of...clean everything inside..use some towels

KevinWhiteJA :

after this is done lay it on its side by around 45 degrees so that excess water comes out

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : I'll have a go - does the plastic flat channel that is attached between the spinners and the rear of the machine need to come out? And I've disconnected elec but valves off the mains - is that enough?
KevinWhiteJA :

yes try to clean as much as you can

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : I guess you'll be available in x minutes.
KevinWhiteJA :

This Video will give you an idea on how it should be done

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : Thanks I'll look if I get stuck. Do I get back to you when I've got something to report either way?
KevinWhiteJA :

Sure....If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ...Thanks

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : Will do - does that video show how to unclip the channel? That's my only fiddle up front.
JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : Unclipped ok so I'll let you know...
KevinWhiteJA :

Sure...please let me know how it goes..thanks

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : Kevin, I'm not sure if I need to flip the machine on its side. I've removed all the visible screws from inside the machine, but the assembly looks like it gets removed from below. Are you asking me to just tip it sideways to drain or to disassemble?
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes so that if there is any excess water it comes out

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- :

Hi Kevin, sorry I haven't been able to get back to you. I removed the housings that I could from inside the machine, so I could see the pump, clawed out debris and tipped the machine sideways in both directions. When I ran it again, it's clearer that it sounds like it's trying to fill, but doesn't sound like it's actually spinning much water - when I opened it mid-cycle there was only a small amount dripping from the top spinner, but the water was definitely hot. I also noticed the cycle seemed to take longer than the minutes it showed initially on the read-out. I reset the machine but haven't had a chance to cycle it since. The video you linked to doesn't show the bosch, which I think actually accesses the pump kit by removing the front door lining and some skirting. What would you advise next? Thanks in advance.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

The problem seems to be with a low water pressure...if you have already tried to clean it completely and if everything is clean then the problem is with the circulation pump that is bad and will need replacement

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- :

Hi Kevin, is this something I can take out and look at? I found a video of a different bosch model, but it looked semi-possible. Would it be worth me taking a look for more debris stuck behind the pump wheel? If not, would you guess at what I should expect to pay for parts and/or fitting?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes it will be worth to check for more debris especially the tube connecting to the spray arms...the repair/replacement will cost around £100 including labor

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- :

Hi Kevin, I'm not sure which is the tube connecting to the spray arms - is that the flat plastic piece clipped to the rear of the dishwasher and connecting the two arms? Also, does the cycle time thing suggest any other problem? I don't mind the £100ish as long as the machine won't have to be swapped soon afterwards...

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that might be the one...unfortunately I do not have an image for this model number...

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- : You can see the insides in this image: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/b/bc/BoschSGS43A05.JPG. It's necessarily not my exact model, but this bit looks the same and the flat plastic bit is the grey part...
KevinWhiteJA :

If you have already cleaned this one and there is nothing stuck in there then it is better to get the circulation pump replaced

JACUSTOMER-omhwagos- :

Is there more than one pump in this machine (is their a recirculating pump and a different pump)? When I open the panel to see the pump, I'll also take a look at the tube behind it to check for debris and let you know.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes...a circulation pump and a drain pump