Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Neff dishwasher When door shuts, and start button pushed,

Customer Question

Neff dishwasher
When door shuts, and start button pushed, minutes left are displayed eg 30 mins. after less than one minute, the minutes- left light starts flashing. we push the control panel in the vicinity of the closing catch, light goes off cycle continues. It will probably stop another two times during the cycle and each time we have to push the panel , using knee to get it going again. it has been like this for about a year now but we are getting fed up. Numbers S41E50N0GB/03 FD 9108 000009.
the dishes are clean and hot when finished and water is always pumped out. cycle appears to be normal except we have to keep giving the control panel a push every so often.
catch is small curved triangular metal tongue with small lever next to it which is pushed by the door as it closes. I have fiddled with various combinations of action on the door catch but nothing seems to work.
what is wrong
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you need to keep pushing the door to starting it going then the fault is going to be with either the door catch itself or the sensor in the door.

If the door is closing ok and lacthing over then its more then likely the door sensor thinking its open when it isn't.

The sensor is in the door itself so you can try and replace this and fingers crossed that will sort it. If not then its the catch on the top of the dishwasher.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel

I have degree , masters and doctorate in engineering. I was pretty much aware that it was either the catch or some sort of sensor. what I was expecting was ways of eliminating one or the other or failing that how I get at either the catch or sensor.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok I never said how to get at the catch as in your question you said you fiddled with it so I thought you already knew how to get at the catch.

To access the catch you need to pull the dishwasher out from under the unit and you will see the catch on top of the dishwasher.

If you close the door you will see it flip backwards and keeps hold of the door.

From there you will be able to see if the door is catching and if it isn't then you will see it and that would be the fault.

But if it is catching then its the door sensor.

To access this you need to remove the plastic control panel on the door.

With this off you can see the door sensor.

Click here to see what it looks like

So just check this is fitted into place and the wiring connections are fine. If it looks like its fitted fine then you will need to replace the sensor and that should cure the fault here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no plastic control panel. It is stainless steal . there are 12 t screws round the door on the inside. I cannot see any other obvious ways of getting access panel off. machine is semi fully integrated with only control panel showing above the door

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

That's it, the control panel is the panel I'm talking about.

Open the door and you will see the screw on the inside holding the panel onto the silver door. Remove them and then the panel can be removed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you will get back

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No worries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Before starting this , can you just confirm that to access the control panel, I have to undo all 12 T screws all round the door on what is effectively the door seal. In addition I can see 4 screws, two either side at right angles to the others , near the bottom of the door. Do these have to come out as well.

Les

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok pull the door down and look around the edge of the door at all the screws.

You need to remove just the screws that hold the plastic control panel on it doesn't matter about the other screws further down its just the panel screws only you need to remove.

On the door inside look at the side towards the top and theres another screws either side holding the plastic panel on as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will have a look tomorrow. As mentioned before , there is no plastic panel, it is brushed stainless.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The model number you have posted shows it as having a plastic control panel. As its a semi intergrated dishwasher it doesn't have a full wooden door so it has a plastic control panel were you select the cycle.

If you don't have the plastic control panel can you double check the model number then please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have removed the panel, which is as you say, plastic, but cannot see anything remotely resembling the sensor. you have shown.

On far left and far right are two plastic components with yellow (L) and red (R) wires. The yellow wires go to on/off switch, red wires go to countdown display unit. At the other side of those components, the wires appear to wrap around the tablet dispenser mechanism. On the right is the countdown indicator unit , in the middle there is a plastic item, but no wires go to or from it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The sensor should be above the dispenser unit.

It the part which when you close the door the latch pushes into so look at that area and you should see it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes have it now. Can I do any tests

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

There isn't anything you can test on it as its just a very small circuit board in there and it has a reed switch on it so its not like a micro switch you can test theres nothing on there you can do to it. Its a case of replacing it im afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

will get one and let you know what happens

Les

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries fingers crossed that will cure it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Component arrived this afternoon, fitted in two minutes, dishwasher completed cycle without problem.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Hi les

Nice one glad to hear its sorted and thanks for letting me know.

Regards Daniel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have rated you, but got another rating email ??

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Don't know why you got that but it does show its been rated so just ignore it it may have been sent in error.