KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Whirlpool awm5125 Problems. This washer was behaving oddly.

Whirlpool awm5125 Problems.
This washer was behaving oddly. It begin with it would not spin properly and the load of washing was very wet.
After a little research I discovered this could be because the carbon brushes could be warn, or because the pump is blocked.
The brushes looked good to me, so I then went to try to clear the pump.
I removed the ruber housing directly under the drum and a black rub cup and ball dropped out. I cleaned them up and put them back, first the cup in the ruber housing then the ball, then back on to the drum.
I then disconected the black rub pipe from the drain and the grey drain line. I flushed out the drain line as best I could, and I cleared out the black part that connects the drum to the pump. There was a small foreign object in there.
I put it all back and ran the machine empty and it seemd all worked fine, though I imagined the machine sound more sloshy.
I then put in a very small load (3 small towels) and the cycle wouldn't finish. Water was half way up to the door and I could not get the machine to drain it at all.
I manually emptied it by partially removing the drain filter/trap and catching the water. There was an awful lot, 3 or 4 bucket fulls.
So I guess I'm stuck and think I've bust something. Is there anyway this could be the carbon brushes still? I rather fear it is the pump now?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is this washer ?

KevinWhiteJA :

After cleaning if the problem has not been resolved then it is more likely a bad pump not the carbon brushes as the motor still seems to be working fine

KevinWhiteJA :

If you still want to check the brushes...then take off the back panel and at the back of the motor you will find 2 brushes...if they appear worn then replace them

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

The washing machine is about 12 years old. I've no idea if the pump has been removed. The first symptom I noticed was that the drum wasn't spinning at full speed and the clothes were wet which was why I thought maybe the carbon brushes? So I need a pump? I think I put the lock eco and flange eco into the drainhose (from drum to pump) in the wrong order, would that cause the pump to not drain the machine?

KevinWhiteJA :

OK...if the drum was not spinning then it can be a problem with the brushes itself

KevinWhiteJA :

can you please take the back panel off and check the brushes

KevinWhiteJA :

with the washer that old its definitely worth replacing the brushes

KevinWhiteJA :

however, if the motor itself is bad then I wont recommend replacing the motor

Customer:

I dont know what I'm looking for on the brushes, by they apear in good condition and in good contact. They 'look' younger than the motor, the platic housing on them is brighter and looks less old. I guess they may have been replaced in the past? I've only had the washer the last three years or so.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, then it is worth replacing the drain pump assembly

KevinWhiteJA :

a new drain pump will cost around £60

Customer:

So I need to replace the pump and the assembly? I can't just replace the pump?

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry I mean the pump only

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** in touch after I've got a pump!

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ...Thanks

Customer:

Hi there, so I have some more information.

Customer:

I ordered some carbon brushes and a pump from espares. I fitted the brushes and removed the pump but realised that the part I had ordered was the wrong part. So I put the old pump back in.

Customer:

I corrected my drain hose (drum to pump) issue, by placing the flange above the ball.

Customer:

I then rang a test wash. a number 8 wash, with the rapid button pressed in.

Customer:

The program ran but halted where the dial is marked B. (A is rinse and spin, B is spin, C is short spin and D is drain.)

Customer:

I manually clicked the dial one click forward and then after a few moments the pump swtiched on and drained the water from the drum, the drum than span up very fast for a min or so and then moved on to section D where I could hear the pump come on again.

Customer:

The program finished and the door opened, no water inside the drum.

Customer:

Do we still think this is the pump? And if it is not what could it be? I pump I need is £60 as you suggested, but I dont want to order it unless we are sure it will work.

Customer:

Ok I've now run with a small load of washing in. Program 8 and rapid again.

Customer:

It stopped at different points, one on the arrow between the 11 and A on the dial and again between C and D. However, when moving on to the drain sections instead of working I hear a low pitch hum and nothing happened. However I did watch it drain the water from the first run.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

sorry for late response

KevinWhiteJA :

was not here earlier

KevinWhiteJA :

where is that hum coming from ?

Customer:

Bottom right as you look at the machine. Near where the pump is, now I know where it is. Could the first run have simply looked like it had emptied because the whole system had been drained when I removed and reattched the pump?

Customer:

WAter can't get far under gravity though as the drain pipe goes to the ubend under the sink.

Customer:

The plastic of the drain fliter vibrates when it is humming.

Customer:

However, I've also noticed that if instead of moving the dial forward when it stops, it will also carry on if I turn the machine off and on.

KevinWhiteJA :

well from what all you have described the problem is with the drain pump

KevinWhiteJA :

it seems that the drain pump stops and thus the control wont proceed to next cycle

Customer:

yeah I'm still unsure why when it is empty is 'seems' to do better. Here goes another £60 I guess. Your help has been excellent, once I'm running again I will be rating you excellent.

KevinWhiteJA :

:) no problem...basically you have already cleaned everything...replaced the carbon brushes as well...it works fine because of new carbon brushes..that was worth replacing..it cannot be the control as it works fine at times so I believe it is the pump

Customer:

Argh, the new pump and drain has an extra grey draining tube. The old one did not. I can see where it fits on the drain pump and assume the metal screw tighting clip is for where the hose meets the drain filter, but what of the other end? I have a white plastic plug that look like it should be for it, but I can find no where on the washing machine housing where it will clip into and I have no tie for it either so I'm unsure that it isn't going to leak water under pressure. Any advice?

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years