Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I have a Singer 7102 and unfortunately tripped over the lead

Customer Question

I have a Singer 7102 and unfortunately tripped over the lead and the machine fell on the floor. Everything seems to be fine except that the turning wheel seems to have jammed. Is this repairable and is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

To answer your question, yes it's repairable.

Gary :

I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time to work on the problem. Please follow the directions and you can still maintain contact with me.

Gary :

What I want you to do is disconnect the motor from the wheel. After that, see if you can turn the wheel by hand. When doing so, please describe to me what you feel. Thanks

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply Gary but only received it this morning.

How do I disconnect the motor? Is it just the fan belt or is there more?

Without the fan belt the outer wheel is a bit easier but the central one which releases the bobbin winder, is still not turning properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did reply this morning and all I am getting is a request to rate your service but the repair is not complete yet so did you get my reply.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for getting back.

Yes it is just the belt I wanted you to remove. Since the motor is disconnected now, does that work fine? Now as for the outer wheel; when you turn it by hand, does it turn straight? (meaning there is no wobble as the wheel turn) You want to make sure the "shafts" are straight and the only way to do this is by turning the wheel ... this is the same for the bobbin winder ... as this turns, does it turn straight, or is there a bow to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The shafts are straight as far as I can see and there is no wobble on the wheel. The bobbin winder is so stiff I can hardly turn it at all and it doesnt turn separately from the wheel

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for getting back. Well the problem is in the bibbin winder. That shaft is either jammed (my guess) or bent. I'm going to need a little time so I can take a look at this machine a bit better and see if we can get it to release for you.

When it dropped, how high did it fall from? (table height?) when it hit the floor, did it hit anything else? Like the leg of a chair, table? corner of something? Please let meknow.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lost internet connection - sorry.

It fell off a table top and I think landed directly on the wheel end as it does seem to be pushed in a bit. The bobbin winder is too stiff and jammed to do anything with and we have tried to undo what looks like a screw fixing the bobbin winder to the wheel, but we cant move it.

We will be away until Friday afternoon so hopefully that will give you a bit of time to investigate a cure!!!

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I will be in touch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any more thoughts Gary - it has been a couple of days now and I am now back home.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

So how handy are you and or husband???

What you will need to do is remove the entire top cover of the machine exposing the operating shafts. In towards the wheel you will see a series of ring and worms gears ... having the motor disconnected so you can freely move the wheel, pay attention to where the bobbin winder connects to the main drive shaft. Disconnect it there, it would either be held on my "set" screws or allan screws.

Once you remove the bobbin winder, carefully move the wheel again to see if anything is binding up or see if you have a slight egg shell movement in any of the shafts. (this is a sign of being bent) Also look at all of the gears and make sure they are not cracked or chipped. Understandably these are small gears, so if you have a magnifier that would help. If you get any resistance, you can reset these gears by loosening them and moving according. You do not want to have any spacing between them. If during this course of action, you move a ring gear where there is spacing between the two to work, then one of those two shafts is bent. A sudden jar like it took can lock up the gears because there is no room for margin. In short those gears should be touching inside on another ... that's it.

Once you have done all of that, place the bobbin winder on a flat surface and roll it. Here you want to make sure that there is no oblong movement. It needs to roll smooth and straight. Also take a look at the gear as well making sure there is no cracks and chips. If all of that look good, re-install the winder. As you reset it back into place, it should just set there inside of the other gear. Carefully snug the set/allan screws, when that is done, work the wheel once again. Everything should be working smooth. You can add a little 3-1 house hold oil for lubercation, but please do not over do it.

I will warn you this will take a little bit of time. Lay everything out in order during removal so you can put everything back according. If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will be glad to help you out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that but I don't think we are that expert to deal with everything and as the machine is on lone from a friend I don't want to do anymore damage! However it is good to know that it should be reparable and I will try to find someone locally.
After further examination and removing the top, back and front casing, everything works OK so it still looks as if the wheel has been rammed into the side casing and is rubbing on it so nothing runs smoothly but I don't want to and don't know how to get it back to the original position (only about 1mm would clear the side casing).
If you have any further comments let me know, if not I will close down and thanks for your help.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for replying back. Well just as I thought, it needs an adjustment. If you don't trust yourself, then please leave well enough alone. This would be a minor repair for the person who'll be doing it and the cost should be minimal. Feel free to close this out, and if something else comes around the corner and you could use some advise feel free to come on back. I'm sorry about the misfortune with this machine, but it is very good of you to step up to the plate and take responsibility. I wish you the best, and enjoy the rest of your week-end