Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi, We have a Hitpoint FZFM171 frost free freezer. Although

Customer Question

We have a Hitpoint FZFM171 frost free freezer. Although it gets cold, things like ice cream don't seem to freeze properly and are always soft.

The bottom of the freezer is warmer than the top.

Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If you open the door and look at the vent at the very top do you see a build up of ice or frost in there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No ice or frost at the top vent.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok what it will be is ice will have pooled up at the back of the evaporator housing

so this blocks up the fan and stops the air circulation that's why the bottom isn't as cold as the air isn't getting blown down there.

Now for this you need to empty the freezer and turn it off for 24 hours and leave the door open as this will allow the ice to melt.

Once defrost retry it and that should sort it.

If seen this fault a lot on these and the defrost nearly always cures it and gets it working again.

You need to do the defrost as its very hard to remove the evaporator cover on these when its iced up. You get so far and it wont move or it breaks the evaporator and then it needs to be regassed and a new evaporator so its a lot easyer and safer to defrost it for 24 hours and that should do the trick.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Daniel.

One more question, when I looked in the top vent, I can see a layer of what looks like polystyrene at the bottom. Is this normal?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yes the polystyrene on the bottom is normal as theres a base heater under there so don't worry about that that's normal and ment to be there.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

I defrosted the freezer and this morning, when I turned it on all three lights (Super Freeze, Power, and Warning) are flashing.

I can hear it making a noise, so think it is working.

I have tried turning the temperature dial to off and turning off at the mains, but they keep flashing when I turn it on again.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Is it the freezer dial you have tried turning?

If so does it feel quite loose?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it's the only control on there. It does feel loose.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok these dials have a habbit of breaking in there so when you turn it its not actually turning inside.

Use a pair of pliers and pull the dial off as its just a push fit and you will see if it has

snapped as the other part will be left in the switch on the board.

If so use a pair of long noise pilers and turn it by hand very carefully off to reset the lights.

Then pull the rest of the shaft off and super glue the shaft back to the diald then you can refit the dial.

REgards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Daniel. That worked a treat!

I've not superglued it back to get her as, in reality we shouldn't be changing it frequently. If I glue it, I'm worried I won't be able to get back to if should I need to.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Just glue the shaft while its out and leave it to dry before refitting it and it will be fine and wont get stuck in the board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Problem is I can't find the rest of the shaft. Thanks for you help anyway, you've been very helpful.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok no worries you can just buy a new one anyway and push it in.

If its the silver dial then the part number is C00193778