Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My Miele W864 not working and the light on the check

My Miele W864 has stopped working and the light on the 'check drain' is on. I have checked the drain outside to ensure that it is clear and not 'backing up'. What should I do to fix it?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Has the machine stopped full of water?
Have you manually drained it and checked the filter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry did not see your answer. No the machine is currently not in use but this is what happened last time I used it and I want to install and use it again. It is currently plugged in and working but not plumbed in?? (I know that seems silly but whilst it is unplumbed I can attempt to fix it).

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, check drain normally refers to the machine failing to drain.
If the drain pump is faulty or if it's jammed, you get this fault.

Plug the machine in.
Take the filter out.
Look into the open filter and you'll see the X shaped pump impellor.
Turn it manually to ensure it's not jammed.
Put the machine on spin only.
Look in again, is the impellor spinning?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Opps (sorry you a dealing with a woman here) I need to go and turn the machine on to spin but this may not work as it is not plumbed in..back soon!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here again....as the machine is empty and umplumbed there is nothing to spin so it is not spinning but the light is on and then the rinses light comes on - is this good news?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hiya

So obviously I need to plumb in the machine before we can establish what/if there is still a problem. I will need to wait till my husband is home as unable to move the machine without help. I also need to unplumb the machine I am currently using and put the Miele one back in. I will need to get back to you later. Apologies for not using my brain sooner!!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, the checks I've given you can be done with the machine disconnected from the water.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so it didn't spin. Shall I go try it again?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, did it turn manually?
When the machine was on spin, did the drum spin?
Did the pump impellor spin?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The drum manually turned. Drum did not spin when it was on spin. Pump impellor did not spin.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Just checked machine again and this time the pump impellor worked but not the drum. (think I hadn't closed the dorr fully before?)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I should mentin that the machine is in the garage and the floor may not be level so would this affect whether the machine would spin?? Are you getting these messages please?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
NO, the machine should still spin as it should.

Sorry, I'm at work at the moment so I can't reply instantly.

If the drum isn't spinning, it's either a motor fault or a broken belt.

When you manually turn the drum do you feel resistance or does it spin very freely?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No worries - I understand you are busy. I notice you are 5 hours behind UK - what country are you in? The drum is spinning freely with no resistance.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
I'm in the UK, Just Answer is US based.

When it should spin, you should hear the drain pump.
Do you also hear the main motor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi yes I can hear the motor and the drain pump.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, either the belt has snapped or it's come off.
If it's come off, you're likely looking at failed bearings, big job to sort out.

If it's snapped, it could have been due to the machine being stored with no movement for a long time.

You need to gain access to the inside of the machine to check the belt.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay will give it a go and come back to you - may take a while. thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hiya. Took the lid off and could clearly access the best which is intact and when rotated the drum turned normally without any problem. ??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hiya. Took the lid off and could I clearly access the belt which is intact and when rotated the drum turned normally without any problem. ??

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, that doesn't make logical sense.
If the main motor is running and the belt is on, it would suggest the motor shaft has sheared, but, that would make the belt come off.

Are you sure you hear the main motor and the pump motor running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will ask my husband to give his opinion on whether both are working and get back to you. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All I can tell you is that it is making the same noise it used to make when it worked properly. My husband thinks it is possibly just the pump that we can hear. This is unhelpful and not an answer really. I guess I will have to get someone in to take a look at it?!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Unhelpful?
I can't give an answer as I'm still trying to find out what the machine is doing. (If you read the entire thread, you'll see I've only asked questions, I haven't posted an answer).

I'll opt out of your question and open it to all again.
See if anyone can give you an answer based on the information provided.

Personally, I think you have a motor fault but, it should flash the rinses light for that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. Yes the rinses light does flash so a motor fault may be the issue. Sorry I think you misunderstood me - I meant that the information I provided in my last thread was unhelpful to you. I think you are doing a great job in trying to diagnose the fault by remote and am happy to answer all your questions. Let's keep trying to see if we can isolate the problem.

Many thanks.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, sorry, I totally misunderstood your post.

The rinses light flashing indicates a fault in the motor circuit.
Several possible causes so I'll start with the most common.

The carbon brushes on the motor have worn out and need replacing.
The control board controlling the motor has failed and needs replacing.
The motor is faulty.
The wiring at the motor has broken (happened to my own Miele, 3 wires broken internally).

You'll need to access the motor. Rear panel off or front open if there is no rear panel.

Then, you need to check the wiring to the motor, give it a good tug in case it's internally broken.
If that's ok, you need to check the carbon brushes on the motor.
If worn out, you need to replace them with new ones.

If the above are ok, you are looking at an expensive repair.
A new board and / or a new motor.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.

Obviously, if you cannot do the work yourself, you've reached the stage where you know you'll need an engineer to come in and see to the machine.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your support.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You're very welcome.

Good luck with the repair.